Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

scubadoc

scubadoc

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi, i'm having a problem with my CPU usage, it's been going on for a couple of days now and i'm at a complete loss as to what's causing it.

My "system" process in windows task manager seems to think it's the "system idle process", in other words, the "system" process seems to be taking up all the unused CPU keeping the usage at 100%, everything gets what it needs, it just takes the rest, it's made my PC kind of sluggish.....i haven't had this problem before and i usually have around 30 or so processes running and leaves the system idle with "00" constantly.

I'de really appreciate any help on this....

Here's my HiJack this log if it's any help....

HijackThis logs are ONLY allowed to be posted in the Malware Forum

Edited by Fenor, 05 June 2007 - 11:58 PM.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello scubadoc with 30 or so processes running that isnt to big a deal. my self i start looking when i get more than 25.what sets off a warning bell is the fact this just started. i would suggest first that you run some spyware program spybot adware something like that save the log because your gonna be ask for it. if you have a good anti virus program up to date run that as well and once again save the log. after that come back and visit our malware forum starting at topic pinned #2 lets start there to be on the safe side an rule out or catch whats causing this. good luck :whistling: and thanks for comming to gtg

scubadoc

scubadoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the advice krmooo, tell me if i missed anything...updated my anti virus, turned off go back, rebooted into safe mode, ran ccleaner then spybot then antivir (got nothing on both BTW) re booted back into windows made the log and posted it in the malware section.

One more thing (this makes me think it might be a hardware problem) my fan is acting weird...sometimes ill shut off the computer and it will still run, the PC wont turn on until i unplug the power supply (which turns off the fan) replugging it and turning the PC on....i'm pretty sure it's not a heat issue cause i took the side off today and let the fan sit in front of it (anything wrong with that BTW? lol) and still had the same problem....

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well you didnt miss much except the forum. this needs to be in malware. let them have a look under the post logs here :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
As others have mentioned to keep things neat and orderly and provide speedy responses. We ask that the Hijack this logs do not get posted in this thread. Instead they get posted into the malware forum.

We now need to make certain that this issue is not malware because if we troubleshoot otherwize we may be wasting our time.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions things to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

scubadoc

scubadoc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Issue resolved, turned out to be a hardware (fan) issue...thanks for the help.

Could you also remove this thread http://www.geekstogo...ge-t160259.html (which was never answered BTW).

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just out of interest, what was the problem with the fan that drained all cpu resources. Also, what fan was faulty, was it the cpu fan or another one.