Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 of my computers are "knocking each other out"

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have 3 computers on a router, D-Link model DI-713P
2 are full sized desktop whatever, one laptop.

One desk unit and the laptop seem to be connected directly together or something, in that, whenever I try to use both at the same exact time, suddenly they both go off the air, lose connection.
They all seem to work perfect bypassing the router, or only one powered on at a time..

I have no idea what happened, as they always worked perfectly until a couple days ago.
The last thing that changed with any of them was to install the latest greatest Lavasoft ad-aware se program (I think it is called.)
I un-installed that, same story.

The laptop is windows ME, the big ones are both XP.
Usually, whenever they have lost connection in the past, turning everything off and restarting would cure it. This time no such luck.
They will all of a sudden just stop/ start working again. Without me having done a thing. The little exclaimation point comes on and goes off the icon, suddenly back off/ on the air... ?

Have read along here and tried nearly every thing I could see to fix, same thing.

The biggest problem is I really have absolutely NO IDEA what any of this stuff really means.

Just a guess, I think it has something to do with router. At one time in the last couple days since this started, my Password to router had changed. I did not change it. Somehow, I got it reset to "admin", the default listed in manual. (but it was something else, and "admin" wa showing as wrong PW also.)

Advertisements

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

One desk unit and the laptop seem to be connected directly together or something

Do you have ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) Enabled.

You can check by:
Start>Control Panel>Network and Internet Connections>Network Connections>If any say something like "Connected,Shared" they are ICSing.

If they were shared, and you try to Wireless, or connect direct into our router it will mess it up, which would cause your error of them being Disconnected from your internet.

If this is the case, just disable ICS.

TO disable it, go to your network connections(For direct to Network Connections look above) and right click on your Wireless Connection>Properties>Advanced>and disable ICS.

Hopes this helps, its better then no reply.