Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADSL connected but can't view web pages

• Please log in to reply

mitch07

mitch07

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys i was wondering if someone out there could possible help me with my problem because its driving me insane :whistling: I recently just changed from dial up to broadband and have hooked up my new modem which is a Netcomm NB6. I followed all relevant details they gave me and now have a strong and constant connection with ADSL and my PPP. The problem is that although i am connected whenever i type a web address into the address bar i get a page saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". The funny thing is though i have used limewire without a problem and have downloaded files at the ADSL speed i just can't seem to get any web pages or other internet applications to work. If any one knows anything or knows how i can fix this please let me know.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you tried using a different browser, such as FireFox? The problem could only be with Internet Explorer. You could go to the Tools Menu > Internet Options, and then click on the Connections tab. You might have to remove the dial-up icon if it is still there, then click on LAN settings and make sure the box is ticked next to Automatically Detect Settings.

Because you have used the internet successfully with Limewire, that proves that your internet connection is working fine and the problem is on your computer. Also note that it is against Geeks to Go! Terms of Service to help with P2P programs (Limewire) as they are notorious for providing easy access to your computer for malware (viruses, spyware), and because while the program itself is legal, most files accessible for download are not. So I strongly recommend that you uninstall this program. It is possible that a virus or some other kind of malware is wrecking your settings and is stopping IE from accessing the web pages. If the above trick doesn't work, then you could follow these instructions to find/remove any malware that might be on your computer. Anything that is still on your system can be helped by one of our resident experts by posting your HJT log in the malware section. All instructions are on the link I gave.

Good luck! :whistling:

EDIT: And welcome, fellow Australian! There's a few of us here...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 01 August 2007 - 10:46 PM.

mitch07

mitch07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey yeah aussie all the way lol....thanks for writing back to me mate i didn't know if i'd get a reply. i'm currently in the middle of looking at that stuff you sent to me and as for the internet explorer i was running IE7 but i downloaded Firefox and it hasn't made a difference. I'll get back to u when i find out more of the results from these tests .

Thanks again

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, let us know how it goes. Please remember to be patient, the malware forum is very busy. If it's been more than 3 days without a post (reply) then you can post in the Waiting Room.

:whistling:

mitch07

mitch07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey mate just wanted to say a big thank you to you. My problem has been solved!!! It appears i had some form of address bar hijacking spyware on my computer and one of the programs u pointed out got rid of it.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No worries, just make sure you follow through with all of the instructions, making sure you read the "So how did I get infected" post at the end to make sure you know how to avoid it in the future. I'll also point out again that P2P programs (such as Limewire) may very well have enabled that to be put on your computer easily.

Well done, glad you got it! :whistling: