Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

APPCRASH, ntdll.dll and explorer.exe [Resolved]

• Please log in to reply

John S.

John S.

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Allright, I haven't used this forum before, so excuse me if this is a little thin on informations.

I've had Vista for aproximatly a year now, and I'm overall satisfied with the program. Now lately one problem has been occurring more ofent than I can accept. Every time I start up the computer, and tries to open a drive through "My Computer", the application works for a good 10 seconds, and then it crashes. I get the same report every time it happens, and Vista's only solution is that I go to Microsoft's homepage to download High-Prirority updates, which I can't because I have all of the updates...

So I've been searching the net, found that some has a partly identical problem, which can be fixed by using some anti-spyware programs, so downloaded the program they recommended, but this didn't fix my problem. So I found that some, again, partly identical problems can be solved by using the following solution: Using the "comandpromt" and a system scan: SFC /SCANNOW... This didn't work either... Other deactivated various add-on programs in internet explorer, this didn't solve it in my case, and finally have I been removing various programs people said could cause problems simular to mine, without any luck...

I found this website in my search, and believes that You guys must be able to help me...

The report looks like this:

"MY COMPUTER HAS STOPPED WORKING"

Proplem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000461b8
OS-version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1030
Additional Information 1: e29a
Additional Information 2: 7e6b07688ea9fd0448639840e342db55
Additional Information 3: 8279
Additional Information 4: 7b80c3078985598586db61cab3acbe43

Well, I have no idea what to do here.... So I really hope You will be able to help me with the informations I've given You...

John S.

Edited by John S., 19 June 2008 - 12:01 PM.

Advertisements

Ningen

Ningen

• Pip
  • 8 posts
This may be a silly solution but I have seen it work. My friend had a similar problem actually almost identical. What we ended up doing was upgrading his internet explorer to 7 instead of 6. I couldn't believe it but hey it fixed it.

John S.

John S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ohhh... I already have Internet Explore 7...

John S.

John S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Is this really it?? No one in here has any idea how to solve this? Not even one of the admins or something.........

Maaan, I was really hoping that someone in here would have a solution to the problem...

Grumpey

Grumpey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The only things I found related to this had to do with having HHD's hex editor installed, or some kind of virus.

Here's the reference to the Hex Editor.
http://www.vistahead...gh-vista-2.html

Does it do the same thing if you boot up into Safe Mode
http://windowshelp.m...c904a11033.mspx

Grumps./

John S.

John S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, if I have a HHD hex editor, i'm not aware of it, I wouldn't know what to do with it...

I've tried booting in safe mode, it didn't crash no..

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Every time I start up the computer, and tries to open a drive through "My Computer", the application works for a good 10 seconds, and then it crashes.

Just to clarify, by drive did you mean program?

Using the "comandpromt" and a system scan: SFC /SCANNOW... This didn't work either

Did it run or could you not get it to work? I ask, because normally the SFC is run from the run box and not Command-prompt

Goto Start, then click Run, type the following: SFC /Scannow (Remember the space between C and the slash */*)
You might have to run it as administrator when we talk Vista.

Regards Abydos

John S.

John S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
By drive, I mean like Harddrive: C:, D:...

And, it did SFC scan did run, and it also fixed something, but it didn't fix the problem at hand... Yeah, I did run the comand promt as an administrator, they said that it might be necessary to do that...

I'm not sure if it would work better when runinng it through "run"?

But I'll try it

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi John S.

Hmm, that confuses me :)
A drive can't be an application at the same time....
So do you mean that the drive itselfs crashes, or any
program you open on that drive?

A repair of your HD(s) might do the trick.
Be sure to be logged in as administrator before
running CHKDSK utility.

Goto start, then run
Type in CMD
In Command-Prompt, type: CHKDSK /r (space between K and slash */*)

It may ask if you want to run the tool on next reboot if the disk
is in use, answer yes to this.
Be sure to run the tools as many times as necessary, that is, till it finds no errors.
When it reports zero errors, run it once more to be sure.

The /r command will attempt to recover bad sectors and recover readable information.

Heres a link to other uses of this great tool. Its a powerful tool, so be cautious
as to what you use it for.
CHKDSK in Vista

Regards Abydos

John S.

John S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ehmm, It is not when I open my drives the Appcrash happens, it is when I open the application "My Computer", I mentioned the drives because I use "My Computer" to open various drives, like portable drives or internal drives.... So, I don't think it's because something is wrong with my harddrives that it crashes...

I don't know if this clarified what I meant?

:)

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
It clarifies, thanks :)

You should still run the tool.

It will try recover readable information as well.
So any "missing" / broken pieces of Explorer might be fixed!

Regards Abydos

John S.

John S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Glad it did:)

I'll run the tool as soon as possible, and I'll report back to you as to if it worked or not.

John S.

John S.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay, I have unistalled my Deamon tools, and ran the tool... I'm not sure what did the trick, but the problem is fixed now..

So I wanna say thank you for the help, I'm now gonna call this Resolved:)

Regards John

Edited by John S., 19 June 2008 - 12:02 PM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Okay, I have unistalled my Deamon tools, and ran the tool... I'm not sure what did the trick, but the problem is fixed now..

So I wanna say thank you for the help, I'm now gonna call this Resolved:)

Regards John

:)