Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVENGINE.EXE 100% CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

help.help

help.help

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Due to vast system resource usage and suggestions from web reviews, I uninstalled pc-cillin internet security 2007 and put in panda internet security 2007 (Trial versions). But soon after that I am having system freezes quite regularly and when I tried to look for the problem it was caused by avengine.exe (belonging to panda antivirus software). It takes CPU usage to 100% every 30 sec (least) to every 2 min (max). The 100% usage lasts for about 10-15 sec and otherwise my pc is normal. also my pc runs at a very low available ram. I have 512 mb RAM And my PF is set to 800(initial) and 1400(max). I am running memory optimizer (a tool from Advanced System Optimizer) and it tells me that only about 130 MB of RAM is free. This oscillates from 85-180 and rarely does it go beyond although I am not running any large software. This is the same condition after startup and since the last few days my startup time has nearly doubled. I ran Complete checkup of my pc by Pc=Cillin IS2007 (when I had it), Panda IS2007 and Windows Live One Online Scanner. They detected some files but majority were cookies and none were of HIGH priority. Please help me! Will upgrading my RAM help? (Actually I am anyways going to upgrade it to 1GB) Lastly, I am getting a system alert warning which leads me to a site where i need to install some anti-malware software and I cant get rid of it. Also there are two programs listed in my Add/Remove Programs list which I can remove (coz they don't have a remove button). Haha it looks looks like this computer's really sick. :whistling:

Attached Thumbnails

• add_remove_errors.JPG

Attached Files

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi help.help...

Sounds like an infection to me...

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1