Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accounts on PC

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I have finally understood the need for two Accounts on a PC, Admin. and User. All seems to be going well re the accounts except for the fact everytime I leave the PC for a few minutes or cease working on something, the screen goes back to the login screen and I have to put my password in all over again. Even just switching accounts can cause me to have to re key in my password. There must be a place somewhere to adjust this but so far cannot find same.

Can any one clue me in as to what to do or where to go to adjust this problem?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Do you have your screen saver set to password protect on return? Or following one of the related instructions for your needs:

To change users without logging off in a workgroup environment:

1) Click Start, click Log off, and then click Switch User.
2) On the Welcome screen, click another user account icon.
3) Windows displays the new user's desktop and settings.

Note: You can identify the current user account by clicking Start and reading the account name located on the Start menu.

To turn the Welcome screen on or off:

You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the Use the Welcome screen feature. Logging on at the Welcome screen is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.

1) Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
2) Click Change the way users log on or off.
3) Do one of the following:
a)To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box. A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

b) To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box. The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

Notes: To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts. Fast User Switching is available only when the Welcome screen is turned on. For more information, click Related Topics.

To turn Fast User Switching on or off:

You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the User Fast User Switching feature. Fast User Switching is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.

1) Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
2) Click Change the way users log on or off.
3) Do one of the following:
a) To specify that a user's programs remain running when another user logs on to the computer, select the Use Fast User Switching check box. If you select this option, programs do not shut down when another user logs on to the computer. For example, if you are typing a report and your child wants to check e-mail, you can log off using Switch User, the child can log on, check e-mail, and then log off. You can log on and return to your report without losing your place.

b) To specify that programs shut down when users log off the computer, clear the Use Fast User Switching check box. Programs automatically shut down when users log off the computer, and the computer will run faster for the next user who logs on.

One of these ought to help.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 15 September 2007 - 08:36 PM.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks so much for your input. Am quite confused as I just got a message from I believe a moderator that I had posted multiple times and that this topic was blocked. So not sure how I got your message. I did not post multiple times as my post seemed to lock up when I tried to send it. So I thought it was my PC and thus resent the message. Then a flood control was put on site so waited until alloted time and then resubmitted again as I was under the impression that this was the reason the message had not gone before. So how it was sent multiple times puzzles me.

Will study your instructions and try to follow and then post how I made out for others who might have similar problem.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Major Payne - have tried all your suggestions and nothing seems to be working for me. In Admin acct. I have unticked the 'prompt for password when PC resumes from standby' but I still have to put in password when I switch accounts. And though my PC is never in standby in the power screen - yet when I leave the PC for a few minutes - it seems to go into standby and again I have to enter a password.

So I must not be understanding something or might there be another place to go to correct this situation? I cannot untic the prompt password in User Accounts as Access is Denied.

Am also getting the log on, log off music all the time as I work in a window. Not sure why this is either. :whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are two that may still be checked. Access by right-clicking on your Desktop and selecting Properties. The Screensaver Option I think you have unchecked already. Click the Power button under Power Monitor and then the Advanced tab. That one should be unchecked too.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
The place you speak of in Power and Advanced - on Admin. account I have it unchecked and in User Accounts, can do nothing because Access is Denied.

But nothing changes re having to always enter passwords or the log off/on music playing all the time.

Also have screen savers turned off.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Went back and re-read your posts for the umpteenth time. LOL Guess I'm slow here, but should have asked you if the problem you want fixed is occurring on both accounts: admin/user? If just user that does not have admin rights, you need to delete this account from the admin and set up a user account for yourself that has all admin rights too. Then you can make the changes. If you are having this problem on both accounts, then I'm going to ask for additional help as I have run out of ideas.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Ah ha - that is what I have been wanting to know

how to delete the UserAccount I now have
and set up a User Account from Admin. account and add extra priviledges.

Well, the longer I ponder all of this the more confused I get, so perhaps am not explaining myself well enough either.

I think at this point I have done something wrong re this whole thing because when I type control passwords2 in the start/run screen I come up with this scenerio:

administrator administrators
ASP.net users
DJH users
donnajean Administrators, Users

It appears to me that I have four accounts: donnajean
DJH
Administrator
User

Why one must name an account is more than I know. I just plain want an Administrator Account and a User Account (no names, these titles are enough) that has more privileges than the Limited Account in User style that I have now.

I hope I have clarified things a bit. It is so difficult to talk/discuss all of this by writing only but will keep trying.

And do appreciate your efforts to hang in this thread and try to help me.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Maybe these will help you a lot more then I can:

How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP
Delete User Accounts in Windows XP

Don't mind hanging in there for you. Just wish I could come up with correct solution that works.

Ron

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Ah good material to read and study. Will keep you posted soon as I can digest all of this and try it out. Thanks again.

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Read the articles but I already know most of the material they presented. What I need to know is how to give a Limited Account extra privileges. I hear it can be done but so far can't find any place that explains it or anyone who knows how to do it.

Also wanted to know from the outline I sent you of my accounts whether I have two administrator accounts or not. The S on the one word administrator is misleading to me as indication that I have more than one admin. account. Maybe I do not understand the wording so was asking your opinion.

And still have found no way to get around having to put in password every time I switch users despite going to places to untic a box about not having to use password. Very confusing.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Requested additional help with this.

Ron

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try setting up one account as a "Power User".

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
May I ask why I should try a Power Account? Since I am such a novice re PC matters am having a problem understand all accounts right now.

From what I understand in MS bulletins there seems to be some System Admin. Account that one should NOT use and hide after setting up another Admin. account with admin privileges for everyday use. And can also set up a User Account which has limited privileges. Not sure I am understanding this part first before I attempt to get into Power Accounts.

Is there some document somewhere that fully explains all the accounts and how to set up and use that I could study? Have been searching the internet for same but so far have not been able to find. Hate to take up your time and effort to give me lessons on same so a referral would be greatly appreciated.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. Perhaps I am not seeing what you are trying to do here.

Enlighten me. What are you looking for - the System Admin account (should stay hidden with no option to login on the logon screen), a user account with Admin rights and a plain old user account with limited rights?

Murray