Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ActiveX Errors WinXP MSIE

• Please log in to reply

ryurek

ryurek

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've been trying to fix a computer for a customer recently and it has driven (drove?) me crazy all week. Aside from the typical hundreds of virii and adware found on a system with NO protection, I couldn't get any windows updates, nor could I scan the computer at trendmicro's online scan. I kept getting an error saying that my security settings prevented the activex from working. I searched high and low on the internet to no avail trying to find a viable solution to this. I did find how to edit the registry and make My Computer appear in the Zones area of MSIE which was neat, but completely worthless to me at this point. I set every zone on that computer to LOW, I manually ensured every single thing was set to "enable" and still nothing. My security settings were "still" preventing activex (or any javascript) from running. Finally I thought I'd reinstall activeX. Heh, try disabling active x and getting it from Microsoft. Kinda hard to use their update if you don't have it, you can't use use the direct download for 9.01 without doing the digital verification of your microsoft product and, you guessed it, that requires ActiveX. So I cheated a little. I went on to MS site with another computer, verified my authenticity and downloaded the activex websetup. I then transfered the setup file to the other computer via floppy and ran it. I thought I was all kinds of smart doing this, but of course now I get another error: "a cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted" What the...? So I start searching on that error. I came across a page that referred to activex problems with dlls that weren't registered. It was a bit over my head but I found a link to MS KB article 813442 which explained that in some circumstances (none of which applied to me) all signed components would suddenly become unsigned. So I followed the instructions, ran msinfo32, checked the signed components and sure enough, all were either unsigned or the info was not available. I continued to follow the instructions and used regsvr32 to register the listed .dll's. After that I restarted msinfo32, checked the signed components again and Whalla! They were mostly signed. Now, not thinking of checking the websites, I reinstalled the activeX using the latest version. I can't really call this a mistake because it's probably better to have the latest version, but what do I know?

So in short, if you're having activex problems that aren't solved by changing the internet zone settings, check msinfo32 and the signed components section under software. If that's the problem, read the article from Microsoft. Whether or not you have to reboot after is unknown and I'm not about to try and recreate the errors to find out. I'm currently running activex controls on housecall.trendmicro.com with no problems whatsoever. Now I just gotta go back and re-enable all of them security settings (sigh).

RY

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey ryurek, Welcome to G2G!

After making sure that each of the security zones are set to default in IE. click on start/run, in the run box type "%systemroot%\Downloaded Program Files" and click ok. Click on View and details. Go through the list and remove any items that are identified as unknown! The damaged items can be right-clicked and select update.

For some of what you described this is a quicker way!