Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding another windows

• Please log in to reply

Serpent_CuLtiSt

Serpent_CuLtiSt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I have an old computer with windows XP installed, so Im trying to add windows 98se along side windows XP so I can use windows 98 for programs that need a quick system.

I partition the drive and install windows 98, now I have 2 problems.

I can live with problem 1, which is that I dont get asked "What windows would you like to boot?", and so I have to activate the partition I want to use manually using fdisk... Which is tiring.

The second more important problem Im having is that, whenever I want to use windows XP, it starts up some kind of scan disk and changes alot of things. After the scan, windows 98 will no longer work, I think it destroys the FAT32 thing AND the windows 98 system files.

Is there away to disable the scan so that it doesnt destroy windows 98?

Please and thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Install Windows 98 first to the first partition on an otherwise empty disk.
Then install XP to the second partition and it will set that up automatically for you to choose between the two. Don't install it into the same partition as 98.

Serpent_CuLtiSt

Serpent_CuLtiSt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks!

Really needed help on this.

Im sorry for the duplicate, I just didnt know wheather this was help for XP or 98... So I posted in both. Hope you understand :)

Edited by Serpent_CuLtiSt, 26 March 2008 - 11:11 AM.