Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Air cooling for my overclocked e6850

• Please log in to reply

jhemfl

jhemfl

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi, I recently built my own computer

e6850
EVGA 680i mobo
2gigs of mushkin RAM DDR2 800
850w power supply
and an Intel CPU cooling system kit

Well I was able to overclock my cpu to 3.6 ghz but it was running at about 58C idle which is a little too close for comfort from what i've read
I was thinking that the only way to keep my computer cool enough to overclock, that i would need some kind of actual cooling besides just fans (and i wanna stay away from liquid) basically i wanna know if there is a way to turn the inside of my computer into a refrigerator, maybe with like actual cold air being run to the cpu or into the case.

If someone could possibly give me some ideas or product names that would do the job thatd be sweet

Also, I was running coretemp on my computer at its normal 3.0 ghz and it displayed a solid 48C idle, is that normal? I was thinking maybe theres too much voltage going to the CPU, its currently set at 1.42V. Or maybe its normal for a e6850 to run at these temps. Either way, in a nutshell, I'm looking to actual get cold air to my computer, not just fans and maybe some hints on overclocking a e6850. I have run any stress tests YET. I plan on doing it tonight, I'll post results with idle and load.

P.S. I apologize for any grammatical errors or anything, I'm not an idiot I promise, I just had to write this in a rush. Thanks Guys. :)

Edited by jhemfl, 13 January 2008 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If your CPU is running at 58*C on idle, downclock that CPU immediately, putting that CPU underload will damage it.
What is your current air cooler? If it's stock, that's not nearly enough.
While there are many ways of cooling your CPU with air cooler then ambient temperatures, it'll be well outside of your price range and liquide would be cheaper.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 January 2008 - 09:48 AM.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
OK, at idle on STOCK settings my BIOS temp display is 50 degrees Celsius, this is clearly way too hot, I think that all the components in my computer are effecting the overall heat, I want to be able to Overclock my computer, does anyone have any reccommendations on a liquid cooling kit or maybe a good air cooling kit. Basically, I want either COLD water or COLD air being put into my computer, these CPU fans don't actually send COLD air into the CPU so I'm guessing a key to my solution is water cooling with a reservoir and maybe a radiator? I'm new to all this so if anyone can help, please post.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes you can do water, but it's very expensive.
Since I'm just going to assume that you're currently on stock cooling you have many options.
Give me your budget and I'll find you the best thing to fit it.
James

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'd say under 200 dollars, I was looking at
Thermaltake Bigwater 760i

Only thing Is, I don't really like how that disperses the heat back into the case....
It seems easy enough though to hook up, and are these things universal? I dont wanna buy something thats not going to fit in my case. I have a EVGA 680i mobo, and an 8800gtx, the gtx takes up a lot of friggin room just want to make sure nothing is in the way.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Scratch that, the Thermaltake Bigwater 760i is way too big for my case. It just wont fit with my 8800gtx and all its wiring, I mean, I could probably get it in there, but it would be such a tight squeeze that I think it might eventually damage some parts

COOLIT

if you click read all comments, and look at Maverik's comment on 10/9/2007 7:20:25 PM. he has just about the same setup as me and hes running awesome temperatures.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
bump

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If your really dead set on water cooling I recommend this kit.
Keep in mind a high end air cooler would be sufficient.
Yes the above vendor is a good company, I purchase from them all the time.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 January 2008 - 09:46 AM.

cable89

cable89

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
there is always liquid nitroginegood luck geting it

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

there is always liquid nitroginegood luck geting it

:) I'd have no problem getting it, but most people including myself look for long term/cost effective solutions.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 January 2008 - 10:27 AM.

Advertisements

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
That kit looks good, but I'm just afraid of space in my case. I really have like no room for any of that stuff. I have the Coolermaster C90 case, the power supply is on the bottom on the case. Which leaves like no room to put anything on the bottom.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Then purchase this.
It lets you mount your radiator onto the exhaust fan of your case.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 January 2008 - 10:34 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Something like this high end air cooler would work just as well.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 January 2008 - 10:39 AM.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm not worried about where the radiator goes, that'll fit on the 120mm fan by my cpu, I'm worried about where the pump and reservoir is going to go. I was thinking about a new case, but I read all over the internet that custom builders love the CM90 so I think I need to find a way to maybe manage my cables better or anything to create space.

Thanks for staying up to date with me on this topic, if you wouldnt mind I'll post a photo of the inside of my case and I'll show you what I'm talking about.

Edited by jhemfl, 14 January 2008 - 10:44 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Thanks for staying up to date with me on this topic, if you wouldnt mind I'll post a photo of the inside of my case and I'll show oyu what I'm talking about.

I was just about to suggest that.
I'm going to university soon, so I won't be able to post till later on tonight, unless I really get bored in economics (wouldn't surprise me).
James