Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone Who Just Bought an Nvidia 8800

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Just doing some surfing and i came across this:

http://level505.com/...ti-r600-test/1/

it explains and shows how ATi's upcoming R600 Core creams the Nvidia 8800 in 11 out of 12 tests
anyone who rushed out and bought one might want to return there cards quick smart

**remember that the detalied spces are yet to be released

happy reading

troppo

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
I wonder how the R600 core will do vs the next gen nVidia, which should release at around the same time, if not a bit later?

I also wonder how the tests come out on a current gen OS.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
This is just another reason why I, and a lot of others prefer ATi Technologies over NVIDIA.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 04 February 2007 - 04:08 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 8800 IS the next gen from nvidia they dont as far as i know have anything high end till the next round of releases(nvidia have a 6 month cycle).

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

The 8800 IS the next gen from nvidia they dont as far as i know have anything high end till the next round of releases(nvidia have a 6 month cycle).

NVIDIA builds next products every 6 months?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
ATi and nvidia usually do, but ATi sorta got caught with thier pants down in 2006. I knew that 8800s would be a silly move, they are the very first DX10 cards and as time goes on, isn't going to be the best. I do prefer ATi over nVidia myself, but I have to say SLi is ripping Crossfire apart. I know the new radeons will change that though, which is specifically why when I upgraded I bought a Crossfire board - and a cheap nvidia 7600gt until then.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I don't know much about video cards, I know the basic general knowledge, and some of the finer points of video cards, but thats about it. All I know really is I wouldn't release a new DX 10 video card, until months down the road, I wouldn't be trying to be the first to make the first release of one. I would make the first quality release, before the very first release. If that makes any sense.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nvidia simply had there card ready first ATI started work on the cards first and have always tended to spend more on R&D to get the cards right before release and ATI rely on producing the better card and have done for the last few years every generation producing the fastest card and also often at least in Europe at least cheaper cards. The card companies release a new product every 6 months more or less but ATI are always a month or two after Nvidia but ATI have made whole new GPUs each time Nvidia for the 7 series just improved the last generation and relied heavily on SLI.

The thing with most half decent ATI cards you dont really need to use crossfire and it was never as much a priority as SLI was for nvidia for which i at least im glad using two cards instead of 1 isnt progress to me its a temporary fix to the problem of high resolution monitors proliferating fster than graphics card technology could adapt. Crossfire development is moving more towards using the second gpu as a coprocessor they have used them as physics and AI cards instead of second graphics cards and you can mix and match cards on that next generation prototype crossfire.