Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Attaching an external monitor to a laptop with a broken screen.

• Please log in to reply

Churkles

Churkles

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista. Recently, the screen on the laptop was broken. I attempted to hook an external monitor up to the laptop, and it works until windows finishes booting, after which the external monitor goes blank. Any ideas on how I could set the external monitor as the default, without being able to use the laptop screen?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Restart the laptop, keep pressing F8. On some laptops F8 will invoke the Boot Menu, if that's the case boot off the hard drive. Keep pressing F8 until you get to the boot menu. Select the "Enable VGA mode" or whatever the line says that has the word VGA on it. That loads the computer in the lowest mode possible. You can then change the resolution as per the size of the monitor - right-click Desktop -> Properties -> Settings.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
On the F keys on the Toshiba will be an icon that's the same color as the Fn key. Look for the one with a picture of 2 monitors (probably it's F5) Here's a picture: http://209.167.114.3.../-TSB001343.htm

Press and hold the Fn key, then press the F5 key - that should switch the monitor from one display to the other.

Churkles

Churkles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you guys so much...I finally got it to work, which at least temporarily saves me the ridiculous expense of buying a new laptop or repairing the one I have.