Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD / fatal system error a few seconds after login to XP

• Please log in to reply

fargaud

fargaud

• Pip
  • 4 posts
(Follow-up from initial thread: http://www.geekstogo...r-t270099.html)

Hi,

I repaired my Windows XP installation with the Windows XP Service pack 2 OEM CD sent by Dell. I am able to boot normally and get to the login screen. When I log, I can see my desktop items, taskbar, tray icon appearing but after a few seconds, I get a BSOD (blue screen of death) with the following error:

Stop: c000021a {fatal system error}
The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status...

Same thing happens when I login into another new account I created in Safe Mode.
My machine also reboot when I try shutting it down from the login screen.

I did get a few clues about that error from the following link:
http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x21a

I went to Safe Mode and was able to:
. run my antivirus (no virus detection)
. run MalwareBytes' Anti Malware (which detected two suspicious files that it removed)
. After running the Anti Malware, I repaired XP again.

Any idea what could be wrong and how I could fix this? Any utils I could run in Safe mode/Command line to detect what is wrong?

Though I was able to save most of my files to a USB drive, I would prefer fixing the current OS rather than going through a full reformat/reinstall. But if you feel the later option is better, than so be it :).

Thanks in advance.

Fargaud

Edited by fargaud, 04 March 2010 - 11:29 AM.

Advertisements

ersatz

ersatz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hello,

This is for advanced users apparently, but check this out: LINK

Try the second tip first.. Last Known Good Configuration.
  • Restart your computer, holding or tapping F8 repeatedly, until you hear a beep, or get to the Advanced Options menu.
  • Scroll to Last Known Good Configuration, Enter.

-Tony