Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

trishh

trishh

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista. I got 2 BSOD's in the past 2 weeks. I reformatted after each one because after I got it, I wasn't able to log on to anything except safe mode. If I tried to log onto normal mode, everything froze and I just got BSOD again. I just got my third BSOD right now and I was wondering what I can possibly do to fix this from happening. Safe mode and normal mode both do not work and when I try to reformat, it gets stuck. Should I buy a new hard drive? New RAM? Or can I do something without needing to buy new system drives?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
You can go ahead and format again if you wish, but if you can post the error code from the BSOD it would help out. The fact that you mention it happening three times suggests probably a RAM issue. If you can get it going again run memtest.

Thanks
G

trishh

trishh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It seems as if I cannot reformat, like I said in my previous post, because it just gets stuck.

Thanks

Edited by trishh, 16 November 2009 - 06:09 PM.

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Can you get to the reovery console?

G

trishh

trishh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I'm not sure I know what that is. I put in the disc to reformat, it says "Loading Windows Files," it loads and then it gets stuck and the Windows Vista loading bar. A picture to it is attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• Vista_Boot_XP_by_ssombret007.jpg

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Being stuck on crcdisk.sys file may indicate hard drive problem.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

trishh

trishh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yes, I did do a drive diagnostics and my hard drive was the problem. I just bought a new one and am going to install it in a few days.
Thank you.
Sorry for the double posting.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
No problem :)