Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battlefield 2 crashing

• Please log in to reply

TheReason

TheReason

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've updated my video and sound drivers and turned the sound acceleration to basic in dxdiag

whenever i play Battlefield 2 for a couple of minutes the game crashes and sends me back to the desktop

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
Card name: C.P. Technologies Inc. RADEON X300SE
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON X300 SE (0x5B60)
Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Advertisements

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
:tazz:

I've updated my video and sound drivers and turned the sound acceleration to basic in dxdiag

whenever i play Battlefield 2 for a couple of minutes the game crashes and sends me back to the desktop

Card name: C.P. Technologies Inc. RADEON  X300SE
        Chip type: RADEON X300 SE (0x5B60)
Display Memory: 128.0 MB

View Post

that is a good pc but the video card is cr#p save up $300 and upgrade the videocard but try upgrading all your firmware and drivers and do a vires and spywear checks I recommend the NVIDIA 6600gt as a cheep powerhouse around $300 Australian .

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
i agree, ATI have had there days

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

i agree, ATI have had there days

View Post

im a NVIDIA fan to but I must say the ati 9850 range is impressive if your loaded with$$$$$$$$$$$$

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
The reason the card sucks is not because it is ATI. Its because it is a budget card. The X300 is made for light tasks like video decoding. I recomend the 6600gt as well. Your pc most likely has pci-express (because the x300 is a pci-e only card...usually) So make sure to get a pxi-e 6600gt. They aren't too pricy. Only 180USD.

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
[quote name='TheReason' date='Jul 2 2005, 04:50 AM']

Card name: C.P. Technologies Inc. RADEON X300SE
Chip type: RADEON X300 SE (0]]
gigabytes GV-NX66T128D =this is the gigabytes 6600gt card // keep the case nice and cool with another case fan theas gpu s get nice and hot !!!!! and u need to ((install the NVIDIA driver which comes with the battlefield2 and battlefield2 demo)) its the NVIDIA xp driver 77.30 last time I looked on the NVIDIA web site they didn't even have this driver on their web for download!!! if you don't install the driver the game shaders will corrupt.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Nvidia are far much better than ATI there cards lags cnt wate for the new 512MB NVIDIA 7800GTX :tazz: ;)

TheReason

TheReason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok new problem here ;)
I tried to get into the game, thinking i can mess around with some settings that may help, so i dbl click into the game. I skip the intro movie, and click log in on my account, then it does its loading, but instead of going into the menu it brings me back out to the desktop, which is even worst now. No clue whats wrong here :tazz:

Edited by TheReason, 08 July 2005 - 09:02 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you applied the patch?

ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patches/bf2patch_v_101.exe

jamie72

jamie72

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Ok new problem here ;)
I tried to get into the game, thinking i can mess around with some settings that may help, so i dbl click into the game.  I skip the intro movie, and click log in on my account, then it does its loading, but instead of going into the menu it brings me back out to the desktop, which is even worst now.  No clue whats wrong here  :tazz:

View Post

did u get the new video card!!

Advertisements

Mattie77

Mattie77

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Guys, Here's the easy fix. Battlefield 2 is NOT compatible with Windows service pack 2. EA Games even say this and that they are working on the problem.

I had troubles crashing soon after starting to play, I was pulling my hair out. Spent the whole day trying everything I could think of.

UNINSTALL SERVICE PACK 2 Go to control panel, Add/Remove software and remove. Restart your computer and Bobs your uncle problem solved. :tazz:

TheReason

TheReason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
downloaded and installed patch, uninstalled service pack 2, now whenever i dbl click the game it just shows a black screen

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you will need to remove the game. there is a memory leak in the patch. they will be releasing a new patch later this week. For now they recomend to remove and reinstall the game. To remove the game:

You can manually uninstall the game by removing the files and registry keys associated with it.  Be sure to follow these steps exactly as they appear to prevent accidental file/program deletion on your system.

To delete the save files:

Open My Documents.
Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
To delete the game files (in the default location):

Open My Computer.
Open the C drive.
Open the Program Files folder.
Open the EA GAMES folder.
Close all open windows.
Right-click on the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin.
To edit the registry and remove Battlefield 2:

Click on the Start button.
Click on Run.
Type regedit in the text field.
Click File and then choose Export.
Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Click the plus sign next to Software.
Click the plus sign next to DICE.
Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
Click the plus sign next to Windows.
Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
Right-click and choose Delete on the key named {04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B}.
Close the Registry Editor

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
crash to desktop after black screen

Why does the game crash to the desktop after a full black screen?

Answer
  This issue is typically caused by a conflict with the video card or video card drivers.  Make sure your video card meets the requirements for the game, and that your drivers are the newest version available from the manufacturer.

The supported video cards are as listed below:

ATI Radeon

X700 (PCIe), X600 (PCIe), X800 XT Platinum Edition, X800 PRO, X300 series.
9800 series, 9700 series, 9600 series, 9559 (RV350LX), 9500 series, 8500 seies.
NVIDIA GeForce

6600 (PCIe), PCX 5900 (PCIe).
5800 series (AGP).
6800 Ultra, 6800 GT, 6800.
FX 5950 series, FX 5900 series, FX 5700 series.
If you are not using one of these video card chipsets, the game may run improperly or may not run at all.  The game was tested to communicate properly with the aforementioned chipsets using the newest drivers.  If you have one of these cards but are still experiencing the issue, it is likely that the drivers you have are not the newest manufacturer version.

Click here for information on checking your video card and updating your drivers.

Note that if you have a ATI Radeon 9200 PCI card (this does not apply to AGP or PCI Express cards), you may experience this issue even after updating your drivers.  Although this card meets the memory requirements for running the game, when tested it was not able to run the game with a stability adequate enough to make the official supported video card list in the Readme for the game.  Updating your video card drivers as well as your motherboard firmware may help to resolve this issue.  Please refer to your video card manufacturer for further instruction.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

Why does the game crash after the first splash screen?

Answer
  Crashing after the first game screen or splash screen can be caused by a few different things, including (but not limited to) an incompatible video card, older drivers for a compatible video card or sound card, or a corrupted version of Direct X. There are several steps we can take to try and resolve this issue.

First ensure that all of the games minimum requirements are met.
Click here for assistance in finding the minimum requirements for the game.

Also, be sure you have the latest drivers available for your video and sound card.
Click here for instructions on updating drivers.

Make sure any unnecessary background tasks are terminated.  These tasks could interfere with the running of the game.
Click here for instructions on ending your background tasks.

Make sure you have any patches for the game that are available.
Click on the Start button.
Select All Programs.
In the list of programs find the game folder.
The default should be in the EAGames or EASports folders.
In the game folder there should be a Check for Update or Auto-Update icon.  Double-click on that icon
It should now log on and check for updates.

This could be due to various CD-rom reading errors.  While most times the game will display an error about reading the CD, in this circumstance it does not necessarily display such an error.