Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Internet Browser?

• Please log in to reply

Rekzai

Rekzai

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I just wanted to know if Firefox is better then Internet Explorer or is there a even better one?

Advertisements

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Hi there!

there are probably a few browsers out there like opera, firefox, IE.
Personally i feel that Firefox is the best! ;) - cos it is faster, better, more secure and FREE!! :help:

IE is supposed to come out with IE 7.0 - the first upgrade in about 10 yrs. ;) But still it won't be as good as Firefox i feel!!

Cheers
:tazz:

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I agree Firefox is the best, and for many reasons. I feel that opera is close behind, and you can use a free version, but it is ad supported. The ads aren't too bad, but still Firefox is free with no ads. As for IE, IE is a product of a company known for buggy, insecure software --NUFF SAID!

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 26 June 2005 - 08:04 PM.

Rekzai

Rekzai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I unno im used to internet explorer

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Well go Here. Give FireFox a shot. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. If you do like it, I would also suggest using Thunderbird as your stand alone email application.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I used to use Internet Explorer - not because it was wonderful or perfect or anything (which it most definitely isn't), but only because it was the browser that came bundled along in my Windows 98 operating system, back when I got my first actual working computer in 2000.

Then I upgraded to Windows XP from an XP disc, and yeah it worked fine and everything. Then my computer began running real slow and crap, and I thought oh okay, maybe its time for me to get serious with those malware issues. I downloaded Microsoft AntiSpyware, Avast! Home Edition and a bunch of other programs. I cleaned up my computer, deleted off some particularly tough nasties with HijackThis, and my PC returned back to its original state, nice and clean and fast once more. Then, through the recommendation of many friends, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox.

Oh boy. It was...awesome. It was like discovering the Internet all over again. Sure, Mozilla Firefox was slow on starting up on my cranky six-year-old PC, which was at that time still running on Pentium III with...eh. I'm not sure of the details exactly, but trust me when I say that my old computer's stats were most definitely not impressive. I even had to forgo Adobe Photoshop and Dogz 5 because of the lack of RAM in the machine. But once I had Firefox up and running, surfing was a complete dream. I didn't have to download Microsoft updates in order to get the pop-up blocker for IE. I didn't have to manually type in google.com or yahoo.com to visit my favorite search engines. I didn't have to deal with IE's dated, dismal look. In other words - it was fabulous. The best thing? There was a definite decrease in the number of spyware alerts Microsoft AntiSpyware was bombarding me with, and the amount of intrusions ZoneAlarm was picking up. In fact - there were none. With IE, I could expect at least a hundred (I'm not kidding) blocked intrusions and the like in a couple hours' worth of surfing - if I was lucky. With Mozilla Firefox, there were none.

Needless to say, I fell for Firefox - hard, and fast. I was so infatuated with it, I even gave up on my previous beliefs of e-mail clients being an unnecessary evil (I had never been a particularly big fan of Windows' built-in e-mail client, Outlook Express.) and took a little leap of faith by downloading Thunderbird. Setting and configuring my Gmail account on it took a little work, but once I had everything adjusted the way it should be, Thunderbird proved to be totally efficient and fuss-free in retrieving my mail - without the spam. It was just click open and Thunderbird would automatically acquire any new messages from my account, and send it directly to my inbox. No sweat.

When I restored my computer a few weeks later, I tried to go back to IE. I really did. Once I had updates reinstalled and pop-up blocker enabled, I went surfing. My ZoneAlarm firewall was going absolutely insane in less than an hour. Plus, after nearly a month of Firefox, I was kind of unprepared for the IE madness of slow loading times, security loopholes and the like. I went back to Firefox pretty quick after that.

Now I've got a new computer, and besides all the regular security software, the one program I immediately downloaded was Mozilla Firefox, plus its e-mail client companion, Thunderbird. Together, these two pieces of software have made my surfing a heck lot more pleasurable, not to mention safer. IE? IE what?

chessonly

chessonly

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
OPERA

without a doubt, its the fastest , the most secure(oh ya is true, check secunia) and full featured like [bleep] . its not bloated, the integration and customizability is unmatched.

cons:

ad- banner. $40 or crack to remove.

but 1 thing is very true:

IE? what IE ?

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Opera is proven the fastest and most secure, though myself, being a visual person, doesn't like its interface.

Internet Explorer is the bane of all existence.

Firefox was a breath of fresh air.

K-Meleon is now my current and loved browser. Its an open source browser based on Firefox and I couldn't love it anymore.

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Internet Explorer is better. Firefox and all the other alternative browsers aren't as compatible as IE. When I used FF it caused a lot of problems any time I went to install any type of plugins. Also some downloads were more difficult. Other programs like norton's free online virus scan don't work because FF and Opera aren't compatible.

So IE is better for compatibility.
FF is more secure from what I hear.

milanmagan

milanmagan

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I just downloaded firefox and have been using it all afternoon... it's swell. I probably won't be going back to IE.

Advertisements

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
hi there! welcome to the group of firefox users ;)

try the different themes and also try Thunderbird as the mail client - am pretty sure yu never will go back

:tazz:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
What you really should also try in Firefox; it's extensions!
There is a huge amount of add-ons you can get.
As sunny441 just suggested,
you really should also get new themes for the browser.
And everyone loves the tabs! ;)

- Rawe :tazz:

St0rm, when did you last gave a shot to FF?

Have you used the latest version? There's a lot of updates came up,
also for the downloading -function.
Try it again with the latest version! (Btw, v 1.1 is coming sometime. It's already in testing.)

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
There's one reason to avoid IE that hasn't been mentioned here, and to me that's a REALLY big reason.

Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer and the service Explorer are in the base the same files. If IE is f*cked up, you may be able to use WE as your browser. If you're lucky. But it may very also mean that WE and sE are crashed as well. With a bit of bad luck, a crashed Internet Explorer can mean reinstalling Windows.

My choice is FireFox. Because I'm used to it, and it works smoothly on all the machines I've used.
There has been many issues with missing plugins and a lot of fuss in the plugin install procedures, but it seems like most of them are sorted out now.

And OF COURSE, since Internet Explorer is the most common browser, both the viruses/malware/adware and so on are written to match IE. And so are the web pages! IE is so large, many homepage creators only test it with IE, and even use Microsoft's programs for creating pages, so of course IE works better there. So yes, I still use IE, but no more than I absolutely have to.

I can't compare FireFox with Opera or other browsers, but consider what I wrote when choosing between IE and any other browser. Don't just use IE because you're used to it, it's too dangerous!

/Rob

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Internet Explorer is better. Firefox and all the other alternative browsers aren't as compatible as IE. When I used FF it caused a lot of problems any time I went to install any type of plugins. Also some downloads were more difficult. Other programs like norton's free online virus scan don't work because FF and Opera aren't compatible.

View Post

First of all, a decent website is compatible with as many browsers as possible. I found plugin installation a lot easier, as all you had to do was click the message at the top and it automatically installed.

FF and Opera ultimately really don't need Norton, as they are probably still safer by themselves as IE with Norton.

The phrase 'Internet Explorer is better' makes me cringe.

IE is more compatible ... for ... what? Unneccesary filters? ;-;

Excuse my biased opinion.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

View Post

I am cringing in fear. "Internet Explorer is better." Better at getting your machine infected with numerous malwares? Well, then yes that would be true.

Back right on up a minute. "When I used FF it caused a lot of problems any time I went to install any type of plugins." Unlike IE, which hasn't really been updated in years, FireFox, being of an Open Source nature is constantly updated which means that most bugs and problems encountered are normally fixed within a week or so. The only major improvement to IE in the last few years is the addition of a mediocre pop up blocker, but again that was way after all of the other browsers already had one built in. FireFox has recieved many many awards in the past 3 years check them out Here!

As if!! "Also some downloads were more difficult" More difficult compared to what? If you mean more difficult because you cant manage all of the downloads, well theres even a download manager available for that too. Downloads are a piece of cake even without any plugins. In fact FireFox is so feature rich that you will have to visit Here!To see a complete list of features and security items.

Maybe these scans will only scan a machine using IE for a reason? "Other programs like norton's free online virus scan don't work because FF and Opera aren't compatible. " Just use AVG from Grisoft, it is much more rigorous in just scanning for a virus if kept up to date anyway.

So I guess all in all the only good thing I can find about IE is that there is an option in FireFox called "View Page in Internet Explorer" which comes in handy for those out of date sites (mostly financial institutions) that are written for IE exclusively. And once again I will say HANDS DOWN, WITHOUT A DOUBT, FIREFOX KNOCKS IE OUT.

I don't know what the "best" Internet browser is; maybe it is FireFox or maybe it is Opera, heck it could even be one of the other readily available browsers out there. but I do know one thing FireFox owns Internet Explorer.

On another note, Mozilla is offering up its Deer Park Alpha 1 (beta), which will be the next generation Mozilla browser, for testers and the like. Check it out Here.