Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Fiesta/Win 7

• Please log in to reply

Moeror

Moeror

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Ok. I built a new computer and yesterday I got my dvd kit in the mail for my windows 7 upgrade. I installed it, and it isn't activated yet. Just wanted to let you know in case that's part of the problem. Yesterday I used this computer for many hours and installed a few things and games and played Crysis and Bioshock for a while. No blue screens at all. Today however, it's a different story. Ever since I started her today I've been getting blue screens about every 10 minutes or less. They always start with the screen getting all mixed up looking. Usually it's memory_management or pen something error. I thought it was Avira, cause I installed that last and I uninstalled it. Still happens. I made sure my Windows was updated, still happens. So what do you need from me? dxdiag? what? For the life of me I can't imagine what changed from yesterday to today.

Edit: One thing I noticed is that if I don't do much or don't do anything, the blue screen doesn't happen. I left it on today while i went outside and did a few things and when I came back everything was fine still.

Edited by Moeror, 07 January 2010 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Probably the best place to start would be the system specs:

• Motherboard
  • Processor
  • Memory
  • Hard Drive
  • What Version Windows 7

You may also want to start with a Memory Test. You mentioned memory management so I would think about looking here first without knowing a whole lot about your pc. Before running this test make sure you try reseating your memory in your motherboard.

Go to Memtest.org and download the precompiled iso in zip format.

Burn the iso image ( once unzipped ) to a CD. Reboot your computer with this CD in the drive and boot from the CD. You will see a screen similar to:

Posted Image

Let memtest run a full and complete test on your memory. If it comes up with a clean bill of health then we will look elsewhere.

Hope this helps,

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
ASUS M4A77TD Pro AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100269VXLE Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
Western Digital - Caviar Black 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive
Windows 7 home 64 bit

Edited by Moeror, 07 January 2010 - 03:19 PM.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I tried it 3 different times and the memtest never runs. I unzipped it, opened the iso, put the contens of the folder on the cd, then I restarted it and changed the BIOS to boot from cd and nadda.
I even tried putting the ISO, the folder, and the stuff in the folder on a CD and it still didn't do anything.

Edited by Moeror, 07 January 2010 - 03:29 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you need to burn the iso to cd, not just the file itself. To see how to do this take at look at our guide;
http://www.geekstogo...rn-t254149.html

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Thanks, that worked. All tests passed. No errors.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Can you give us the exact errors?

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
You mean for the blue screen?

Edit: Just did it again. I thought maybe it wouldn't do it anymore but when I tried to open Yahoo Messenger and sent someone a message it did it. There wasn't any specific error on it this time. Firefox is crashing all the time too.

Edit: Did it again. I was only using firefox this time. Again it was another MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error.

Edit: Did it again when I was messeing with firefox. The error this time was PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Edit: This time I was using Internet Explorer and it started messing up too. Blue screen with another PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

Edited by Moeror, 08 January 2010 - 10:39 AM.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Just wondering if you have overclocked this at all?

Can you download SpeedFan and post a screen cap of your temps.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Nope haven't really done anything to it. As I said I just installed it day before and I just installed a few programs and games from steam. thats it. It only seems to do it when Im using my browsers or yahoo messenger. I played bioshock a long time last night and didn't have any problems whatsoever. It's weird. Let me know if you can't read that.

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan2.jpg

Edited by Moeror, 08 January 2010 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Do you think it would be easier to just uninstall windows 7 and reinstall it?

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I really don't think that uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 7 will make any difference.

The thing that sticks out the most with me is the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error you stated.

I did some research about this and everything pointed to a defective or improper driver. Defective meaning not exactly "Windows Hardware Quality Lab" quality. With that being said, I would recommend going to Asus' website and looking up the motherboard and downloading the Asus recommended drivers for your motherboard and installing them on your computer.

I would also recommend going to ATI's website and updating the video driver for your Ati video card. It's very possible that from the time the motherboard was manufactured and the time you installed with Windows 7 64Bit, the drivers have been updated to take care of your problem and to meet Windows Hardware Quality Lab specifications. This could also be true for your ATI drivers.

The only other thing I can think of that may have lead to this problem would be the possibility of a Windows update that was installed after you were using your computer. It's not often that this happens, but it has happened often enough and to enough people that I mention it.

Hope this helps,

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Ok Ill do those this evening. One thing I like to mention, which is weird, is I just played Crysis on High quality without any problems whatsoever. Such a weird bug.

Edit: I installed the latest ATI and ASuS drivers (man that asus sure doesn't make it easy). We will see what happens i gues.

Edited by Moeror, 08 January 2010 - 06:32 PM.

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Still gettin blue screens. It seems worse whenever I first start it up but later in the day it's not so bad. Was another memory_management

Moeror

Moeror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
This is getting frustrating as [bleep]. I'm tempted to just reformat the computer and reinstall windows from scratch...