Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Stop Error

• Please log in to reply

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I am trying to fix a computer for a friend from work and I am at a dead stop.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 4700C with XP Home Edition.
When I start the computer it goes straight to the safe mode options screen but any keyboard I attach is not recognized, I have tried four different keyboards and even went out and bought a brand new one, the only thing that it recognizes is a mouse. Without a keyboard I cant select to start it in "safe mode" or "reset to the last known good configuration" it just stays at the "start windows normally" option.
I tried connecting a keyboard only and that still did not work.
Any information I have found on the stop code points to the cables connecting the hard drive to the motherboard so I replaced both of the cables on the hard drive and still no joy, but the information says that is for IDE drives and this one is SATA.
I have a Dell XP home reinstallation disc but I cant get to the boot menu to change the boot order.

The full stop code is:
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
0x000000ED (0x81334030, 0xC000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could be that the ps2 connection for the keyboard on the motherboard is faulty. Try a USB keyboard. If it doesn't work look in the BIOS and enable everything that is related to USB (generic, keyboard, mouse, USB 2.0).

If that doesn't work try to reset the CMOS: Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot.

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

It could be that the ps2 connection for the keyboard on the motherboard is faulty. Try a USB keyboard. If it doesn't work look in the BIOS and enable everything that is related to USB (generic, keyboard, mouse, USB 2.0).

If that doesn't work try to reset the CMOS: Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot.

I tried a brand new usb keyboard and that didn't work and I can't enter BIOS without the keyboard. :)
I am going to try and reset the CMOS now and I will let you know how it goes in a little while.
Thanks for your help. :)

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Alright, resetting the CMOS worked and was able to get it to boot from the cd to try and do a repair installation BUUUUUUT,
windows setup does not find any existing installations it only shows partitioned space.
Does this mean that I will have to do a fresh installation?
Hopefully not because the guy I am helping has pictures and music that he wants to save if he can.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Before any repair try to boot into Last Good Configuration. Could you also describe the original problem for which the computer was brought to you? I would try some other procedures and test before doing a repair.

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
When I try to get into "Last Known Good Configuration" or any of the "Safe Mode" options I get the same blue screen error.
The computer came to me with the blue screen already showing up.
Would I be able to boot up a Linux distro and be able to access the files on the hard drive that way to at least recover files he wants to save?
I have Puppy and [bleep] Small on flash drives.
Thanks again for your help The Skeptic.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can surely try to backup with puppy. If the problem is with windows you will succeed. If it's with hardware (HD, memory, cpu, motherboard etc) we will have to start a systematic hardware analysis to locate the source of the problem.

Another backup option is to take the HD from the faulty computer and connect it as slave to a working computer. This will enable easy approach to the files as well as some malware and check-disk scans of the HD.

keithr128

keithr128

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Hello The Skeptic,
I was able to retrieve everything that he wanted to save by adding the HD as a slave on my machine.
For some reason the computer did not want to boot up Puppy or [bleep] Small.
I went into BIOS and selected USB device as the first boot option and even went back to make sure that I didn't forget to save the setting.
So since I had everything he wanted save from the computer I just did a fresh install and everything is in working order now and it will also boot up Puppy.

Thanks for your help,
Keith

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My pleasure.