Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand New Vista Laptop won't connect to my network

• Please log in to reply

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hello, I brought a brand new Laptop from PC World today. I got home and connected to my Belkin wireless network straight away.

The laptop stays connected for about 2 minutes, then it disconnects. When I search for networks it can't find anything. You have to restart the laptop to get it to connect again.

My router is WEP enabled and I have 4 other computers connected to the network one being a XBOX 360. All of which I've never had a single problem with. I even switched the router to WPA and it does the same thing.

This laptop is Vista and all my other pc's are XP. I guess it has something to do with Vista. As I've never had any problems with my other computers. One actually being a laptop.

I managed to update the realtek RTL8187B wireless network adapter before it disconnected. It still does the same thing.

Even when I take the Ethernet cable out of my router and plug it in directly into the laptop nothing happens. My aunty brought her Vista computer to my house to update and add some programs. I plugged the Ethernet cable into her pc and it connected to the internet straight away. No need to mess around with any settings.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Edited by Oddysee, 19 November 2008 - 04:01 PM.

Advertisements

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Tried the laptop on my aunties network and the same result. Took it back to PC World, they tested it while I waited. They confirmed what I thought. The laptop is faulty. So they replaced it for me.

Surprised I didn't get any replies. When I joined in early 2006. You would get a couple of replies in a few hours. Has this site gone down hill since then?

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
well not sure.. i think its only in the networking place :)