Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser max's out CPU

• Please log in to reply

jughead

jughead

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Our laptop runs normally except when we open a browser, IE8 and Firefox. The CPU then goes to 100% and the computer slows to a crawl. Downloads work normally and Limewire (p2p) works fine. This has been going on for about a week now. Virus sacns with Norton and scans with Spybot and Yahoo Anti-spy come up empty. I've reviewed the tasklist and found nothing unusual. The last thing downloaded before this started to happen was Adobe Reader 9.1 which we have since uninstalled with no improvement.
We've defragged, optimized, Windoctored, and Diskdoctored.
We have a HP Pavilion ze4400 with a AMD Athlon XP2200+ with 448 MB RAM. There is plenty of memory during all this. The computer does not seem to be overheating.
Any ideas?

Edited by jughead, 24 March 2009 - 02:53 PM.

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,

Our laptop runs normally except when we open a browser, IE8 and Firefox. The CPU then goes to 100% and the computer slows to a crawl. Downloads work normally and Limewire (p2p) works fine. This has been going on for about a week now. Virus sacns with Norton and scans with Spybot and Yahoo Anti-spy come up empty. I've reviewed the tasklist and found nothing unusual. The last thing downloaded before this started to happen was Adobe Reader 9.1 which we have since uninstalled with no improvement.
We've defragged, optimized, Windoctored, and Diskdoctored.
We have a HP Pavilion ze4400 with a AMD Athlon XP2200+ with 448 MB RAM. There is plenty of memory during all this. The computer does not seem to be overheating.
Any ideas?

I see you have Limewire installed on your computer. It is highly recommended that your remove that software. It is optional, but most likely the source of malware on your computer. I can't get in to it here, but That will be recommended by All of our Experts in the Malware forum ask them for a better explanation.

It is possible that you may have a Malware issue. Malware advice can only be given by Staff Members approved for malware removal and such subjects can only be discussed in the Malware Forums. START HERE...and post a new topic stating your problems (No where else). When you get a clean bill of health from the Malware Staff, if you are still having problems, come back to This topic. Someone will be more than happy to assist you.

Good luck I will follow your thread to see if I can help you after you get checked out at the above link.

Cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey JugHead,

I was just checking back with your posts, I see that you didn't receive any response, I'm sorry for that please click
START HERE.

I know I sent you here once.

Please follow the instructions on the link and post the requested logs, in a new topic also stating your problems (No where else).

This is a busy forum, I apologize that we missed you.

If this happens again and you have not received a reply in 3 days please click here

When you get a clean bill of health from the Malware Staff, if you are still having problems, come back to This topic. I/we will be more than happy to assist you.

Sorry, but I look forward to helping you :)

Cbarnard