Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a System need Opinions

• Please log in to reply

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey Guys, I'm new here, just kinda stumbled across this place while searching for reveiws on stuff. So I thought I'd get some live feed on the system I am building.

My Budget is about 1100$ plus or minus (preferabley minus lol) depending on what I find is better bang for the buck. This system started out at about 850$ a week ago and slowly climbed in price as I read stuff and changed parts. I'm not buying this for a week or so and I'd like to get all my stuff off NewEgg they are just to awesome not to use.

Anyway the System is as follows:

Case: SUNBEAM Samurai IC-SA-SI Silver Computer Case With Side Panel Window - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811166002 (This is one of the things I am not to sure about there are so many cases I dont know what to pick this one at least looks nice in my eyes.)

Power Supply: THERMALTAKE Silent Purepower W0010 480W Power Supply - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153009 (Another kinda iffy one.)

MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-K8N Ultra-9 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128283

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103535

Video Card: BFG Tech BFGW68256GTOCXV Video Card - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143029

Memory: PNY Optima 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM System Memory - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820236112 (2 of these for a total of 2gigs)

Hard Drive: HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 80GB 3.5" Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145082

This will be primarily used for gaming, any opinions or disclaimers would be very helpful. Everything should be compatiable I havn't seen anything that has said otherwise, but if I missed somthing I wouldn't be upset if you told me that either. Anyway thanks in advance.

P.S. The stuff I didnt list (mointer, keyboard, mouse Ect, Ect...) I already have. Thanks again.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks good the only thing i can say is that the mobo is one of the older ones you can get it was the first of the nf4s so maybe a msi or abit one that was released a little later would be better.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I think you should pass on the case and find something locally... save yourself the shipping.

makai

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I've been looking around somemore and this is what I have found for motherboards.

SOLTEK SL-K890Pro-939 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813180068 (I am leaning towards this one it seems simpliar and looks like a good solid Mobo)

OR

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813136152 (This one looks like it would do everything I need as well, but people say they have problems with it with veince AMD cores, and thats the core im using. Plus other reveiws say its picky about the kind of RAM it has in it too. It is also more expensive, so I am leaning towards the other one if anyone her can tell me its a solid board)

Anyway thanks again : )

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Case - go Thermaltake (Tsunami Dream's are very solid cases, based on the highly regarded Coolermaster Wavemaster, and are reasonably priced), Antec or Coolermaster. You'll pay a bit more, but it will be worth it.

PSU - the one you linked only has 18A on the 12V rail. I would suggest going with at least 22A on the 12V to be safe, or more if you plan on setting up an SLI config in the future (as well as an SLI compatible PSU!). You may want to consider something from Enermax, Antec, Tagan, OCZ (the Modstream or Powerstream).

Ram - not sure you need 2gig at this stage if you are going to be using the machine for gaming. A paired 2x512 kit would probably be perfect. I'd go with Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, Geil or Kingston for the RAM.

Mobo - the DFI is usually regarded as a serious overclocking board and is apparently excellent when stable. What problems have you noticed with these boards and the 90nm cpus? Most problems seem to be caused by the mobo not recognising the processor and this can be solved by flashing the bios. By now, most retail boards should come with a 90nm equipped bios. You could give Newegg a call and check.

Video card - should be good. Have you checked out prices and reviews on ATI X800's and X850's, just to make sure you are getting best value for money?

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok got an update here picked out a new PSU

OCZ OCZ520ADJ 520W Power Supply - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817104152

Tell me how that looks. I plan on getting different RAM too but I have to leave right now lol more updates later.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well for a mobo you want a nf4 ultra or a ati200 without exception. I eould go for the same one i have it is really good and completely idiot proof comes with everything you need took me an hour more or less to get my pc from parts to bootable pc, and alot of that was becuase of the mobo being well layed out with clear instructions.

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. I think I have come up with my final list. Your thoughts and opinions would be great.

Case:

SUNBEAM Samurai Red

I choose this case cuase it is fairly small I don'h have alot of desktop real-estate so a smaller footprint is overall better for my needs. (Btw to the person who told me to shop locally. Thanks for the idea but all the Best Buys, Micro Centers, Comp USA, Ect, Ect, around here only carry over priced stuff its cheaper to order it online even with the shipping.)

Power Supply:

OCZ OCZ520ADJ 520W Power Supply

I choose this becuase it has all the power I am gonna ever need plus a PCIEx16 power plug.

Mother Board:

SOLTEK SL-K890Pro-939 ATX AMD Motherboard

After much debating and many reveiws of lots of stuff I finally choose this one. It seems to be a good solid and fast Motherboard.

CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

I've heard good things about this processor and it should be plenty fast.

RAM:

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel

After reading 2gigs was to much for just gaming I cut it back to 1gig of higher quality RAM.

Graphics Card:

BFG Tech BFGW68256GTOCXV Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

I went back and fourth on this one too although I didn't say so on here, but after many reveiws I have decided to stick with my original choice.

Hard Disk Drive:

HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 80GB 3.5" Serial ATA II

This was pretty easy to pick and never really differed from my original choice.

DVD:

LG Black IDE DVD Burner

I wanted one single awesome drive, and this is what I found to meet those needs.

Floppy:

SAMSUNG Black Internal Floppy Drive

Although only used about 3 times a year a 3.5 drive is good to have.

Monitor:

ViewSonic VP191B

I decided I wanted a new moniter to replace my aging 17" CRT. This is the best LCD out there from what I read and a very good price to tag along with it.

Mouse:

Logitech MX518

One of the better gaming mices I could find. Should fit my needs perfectly.

Overall with shipping it is Aprox. $1,600. Not to bad if I do say so myself. Thanks for all your help to guys.

Opinions? Thoughts? Comments?

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
All looks good. Never used a Soltek so can't comment. As for the case, just be aware that the smaller the case the more difficult building and adding / uninstalling components will be. Trying to manouevre the motherboard into place, for example, may be more difficult unless the case comes with a removable motherboard tray.

Good luck.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The motherboard is the only thing i havent seen it before apart from in the odd review and even then it didnt stand up to the more mainstream manufacturers boards.

80GB for an HD its very small, considering how cheap 160gb and especially 200gb drives are, find a 200 gb ive had my computer a couple of weeks and i have used well over a 100 gigs allready out of my 200gb drive.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The motherboard is the only thing i havent seen it before apart from in the odd review and even then it didnt stand up to the more mainstream manufacturers boards.

80GB for an HD its very small, considering how cheap 160gb and especially 200gb drives are, find a 200 gb ive had my computer a couple of weeks and i have used well over a 100 gigs allready out of my 200gb drive.

Black_Ice

Black_Ice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I made one final revision.

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Seems to be a much more solid board than I picked out thank you warriorscot.

As far as the hard drive goes 80g is more than enough for me.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Tis an awesome mobo and it isnt bad lookin either the coloured coding to make it easy to put together also makes it look good and the black is just a good colour doesnt stick out more than it should and doesnt look tacky at all like some boards can.