Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C:\1

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi geeks, I recently bought a new game and went to install it, but an error came up saying not enough space. I always have my partitions setup with a 40gig OS (C:) and the rest as Data (D:). I rarely have more than 15gig in my C: , usually about the 10gig mark, so I should have had heaps of space. After scanning for malware, cleaning up my hard disk and defragging, I opened C: and there was a folder called 1. I had never seen it before, it hadn't been there the last time I checked (few days max). I right-clicked, properties, and it says 29.5gigs used. I thought "weird", so I opened it and it was full of extension-less files, counting from 1 and ending at 8000+ before going through the alphabet also a few times. As they had no extensions and I hadn't put them there, I just deleted the folder and re-scanned and defragged before installing my game, which worked fine.

So the question is: What was that folder? What were the files inside? I can't find anything like it on an internet search, but I don't really know how to describe it to the search engines. Everything I did try just brought back weird and different results. The computer is still kicking hard, it's running really quick - always was before this, and is now.

Any ideas? :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As a precaution

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah sorry I did all that already, I should have explained it better. That's what I meant when I said this:

I just deleted the folder and re-scanned and defragged

re-scanned meaning I went through the instructions on the malware guide, nothing was found at all, and because I haven't seen anything problems with it, I just didn't bother posting a HJT log, especially as I just posted a log for my computer (this happened on my parents computer that I'm borrowing) and I well and truly understand how busy the malware forum is!

Thanks for your response, though, I was just wondering "what was it?"

Cheers :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nothing dubious shows when searched, and there would be something if it was a problem, maybe if you had searched the file names it would have shown something.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well yes, but it was just numbers. The first file was called "1" the second "2" the third "3" and so on... they didn't have extensions, they didn't come up on any of the scans I did (I did anti-virus and 2 anti-spyware on them), right up until number 8000+. Yes, there were over 8000 files with names as numbers, then the next lot went "a", "b", "c", etc... right through the alphabet and then they went "aa", "ab", "ac", and so on, it was a ridiculously huge folder! All of my scans since have shown nothing, and I've checked the C: twice a day and it's not there again, so ? I'm tempted to laugh, it's pretty funny...

EDIT: Thanks, though, I appreciate it...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 28 June 2007 - 05:54 AM.