Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Shuts down by itself

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
I was using my computer one day when my computer screen suddenly turned totally black. Rarely, like one in eight times, my desktop will restart by itself. Other than that rare happening, it just goes out and nothing happens next. I thought it was some power-saving thing on my desktop or screen. So I tried to stop the power-saving move by pressing the keyboard or mouse. When the screen goes totally black, the screen stand power light starts to turn from green to blinking green. And the power light on my CPU stays green without blinking. In other words, the CPU stays on but I have no way to on my screen again. (Even by pressing to switch it off and switch it on again)

Pretty often, the screen goes black soon after start up for around 3 seconds and then come back. Around another 3 minutes later it goes totally black and the paragraph above this happens.

I figured it could be a virus but I need to confirm myself before posting a HiJackThis log. Also, I've checked all plugs and sockets. All are placed properly and all the way in. No worries on that.

Please assist me in this problem of mine with your kind skills. (:

Regards,
Jay

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
That could also be a hardware issue. Any other odd behavior? Other than that, it may be best to attack it from two fronts: Post a HJT log in that forum, tell them it's relatively low priority, and post the question, along with full system specs and a rundown of recent system changes, hardware and software, to the hardware forum, and see what turns up?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
an error message(bsod) tells one what the error is, whereas auto reboot doesn't,
therefore it's best to turn off auto reboot

turn off auto reboot:

runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r button
- paste this in slot: sysdm.cpl @0,3
- press: enter
- find in blue: startup and recovery
( just above the line: system startup, system failure, and debugging infomation)
- click button: settings
- unclick box: automatically restart

once done
the error message can be understood here
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php