Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i use two power supplies?

• Please log in to reply

Favs

Favs

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Can i use two power supplies, one for my video card and one for my mother board and such? thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No, not really it wouldnt be at all practical.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
but would it work, i have two power supplies and my video card keeps crashing cause it doesnt have enough power. I dont really have the money for another higher wattage psu.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I don't really see that setup very well. you'd have to plug both the power supplies in. just get one that's higher wattage. generics will do the job, the rule is to have 18A on the 12v rail. try ebay if you're short on cash.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
yes, lets imagine that i plug both power supplies in... will it work or hurt my system?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
you cant. I dont know if I have this right or not, I believe that both psu's would have to plug into the motherboard also for it to be fully implemented. the motherboard has one socket for power supply. either way, it's not a setup that I've ever seen or experimented with before so I can't say for sure. off the top of my head, no, it won't work.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I just wouldnt reccomend you try it, generics also wouldnt do the job, if i remeber your problem is caused by a generic in the first place.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would have to jumper some of the pins to get it to work i just wouldnt try it, banish the thought from your head.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
alright, it was just a thought, i mean i have seen people with with two power supplies before. One for like lights and fans and the other for their mobo. i wanted to see if it was possible to have one just run to the video card

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
generics aren't bad, depending on the brand of your graphics card of course. I wouldn't be using a generic right now if I had a good graphics card and was intending to do a lot of gaming.

Advertisements

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
well thats why its crashing because my video card is desent now. Alright, my dream of saving money it over, whats generics though?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Those are usually a different kind of power supply a low wattage one thats quite small is the kind you use for lights not a big one, unless you are a bit nuts.

90% of generics are worth more as scrap than as power supplies.

Generics are the cheapo no name power supplies with little in the way of features and low on the power the kind you have now.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 January 2006 - 01:28 PM.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
okay, should i use a power supply with pfc.... active or non active, sorry im really bad with power (if you have not figured that out yet) ps. ... what does pfc stand for?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.endpcnois...-bin/e/pfc.html

Its easier to google things than it is to ask us you know, it makes you look smarter as well.

Favs

Favs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
psst.... i dont care about looking smart in forums.... i'd rather get this pc to work then impress people i dont know.