Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't remove itunes?

• Please log in to reply

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Running Windows XP Home edition, sp2.

I was trying to remove itunes after a recent upgrade (it hasn't worked since the upgrade) and got an error message stating "iTunes cannot run because some of its files are missing. Please reinstall itunes."

I downloaded itunes again and installed it, then uninstalled it using the control panel. I ran TuneUp Utilities 2006 after the uninstall to clean up any registry errors and whatnot, then rebooted. itunes still appeared in my start menu. When I tried to launch it, I got the same error message as previously posted. So I went back into the control panel to Add/Remove and found that it was no longer listed. However, after navigating to C:/program files/itunes, it still exists on my computer. Why can I not remove the program and how can I get rid of it?

Advertisements

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

Reinstall itunes agian....then reboot in Safe Mode (reboot, on sight of the first black screen tap the F8 key repeatedly and in the menu that appears....use the arrow and enter keys to select 'Start Windows in Safe Mode'....uninstall itunes from Add/Remove programs whilst in Safe Mode, then reboot normally. Let me know if that solves the problem :tazz:

Big Smiles

HS

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
When you unistall programs in the Add/Remove programs bits will often be left behind. Just delete the folder C:\program files\itunes you will notice that it is almost empty. Delete it from the start menu as well.

Hope this helps.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Reinstall itunes agian....then reboot in Safe Mode (reboot, on sight of the first black screen tap the F8 key repeatedly and in the menu that appears....use the arrow and enter keys to select 'Start Windows in Safe Mode'....uninstall itunes from Add/Remove programs whilst in Safe Mode, then reboot normally. Let me know if that solves the problem

Tried that - it doesn't appear in the add/remove programs list!

When you unistall programs in the Add/Remove programs bits will often be left behind. Just delete the folder C:\program files\itunes you will notice that it is almost empty. Delete it from the start menu as well.

while i know that its common for some files to hang around after an uninstall, typically, the .exe file is gone. in this case, it is not. In fact, most of the files are still present. If I simply delete the .exe, how can I be totally sure that itunes has been removed from my system and isn't causing any other problems?

HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi there,

Well...delete that folder and it's files....then:

Please download CCleaner from here:
http://www.ccleaner.com
Before first use, check under Cleaner Settings, Windows and ensure "Empty Recycle Bin", "Temporary Files", "Memory Dumps", "Old Prefetch Data", "Cookies" and "Temporary Internet Files", are checked. Please also go in under Options, Advanced and ensure the box next to "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older then 48 hours" is 'unchecked'.

Then open it and select any other items you wish to clean up.

Then if you really are worried about any remaining tendrils...download and run the free RegCleaner here:

http://www.majorgeek...ownload460.html

NOTE: Before performing any tasks regarding the registry always back it up first....tutorial on how to do so here:

http://www.computerh...om/registry.htm

Let us know if that's of help :tazz:

Big Smiles

HS

geosexton

geosexton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem with itunes. If I uninstall it will I lose all the songs that have been saved on it?

Thank you

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
always start your own post rather than posting in another's thread.

To answer your question, I actually think you do lose your songs. I am not an Itune expert, but I think it uses a proprietary scheme to save the files and while you can burn a CD with it, I do not think your other programs can read the files.

I could be confusing Itunes and the mechanism of the Ipod, though, so that's not gospel...

Post your own thread and someone may know

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi piggyprobe.

Would like to add another, simple methos for clearing up traces of your software. While doing that you will be surprised how many shreds are left in your computer after removing a program through control panel.

click Start > search > for files and folders > all files and folders > write "itune" in the upper line > pull down the slide bar and enter "more advanced options: > check the 3 top options > click search. You will most probably get a long list of files with the word itune included. Delete all of them by clicking a file with the right mouse button. Sometimes you will find files which will not delete in the first time because you have to delete some other file before. Leave them and return to them latter.

It would be wise to backup your registry beforehand, as mentioned before.

scotty7

scotty7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you run into any trouble installing or uninstalling iTunes you will probably want to read this article with step by step instructions before you go completely nuts!! You can find it in two places that I know of:

http://HowToUninstalliTunes.com

http://zardozz.com/z...-of-itunes.html

iTunes can be very difficult to uninstall properly because of a number of registry keys left behind by other pieces of software that it works with. The article explains what you have to do step by step if you can't uninstall iTunes using ADD/REMOVE programs. If you don't completely uninstall it properly you will get all sorts of errors when trying to install a new copy... even if you try to write over your existing copy. This download saved me hours of aggravation and I did not lose my music!