Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot complete WindowsXP repair/install in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Nancy3009

Nancy3009

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello Geeks to Go,
I have been trying to complete a Repair/Install for many hours. Any help you could provide will be much appreciated.
I deleted three programs from my computer yesterday and today I couldn't access the .pif file from an older program that I've been using for years. I also could not use System Restore to an earlier time.
I researched the problem and found that files were missing from my Windows\system32 folder. They were: config.nt, autoexec.nt, and command.com.
I went to Start\Run\Msconfig and checked SafeBoot. (VERY BAD MOVE on my part!)
I then attempted a repair/install with my WindowsXP cd (Dell OEM disk).
Everything worked fine until the computer tried to restart in Windows.
Now I get a black Safe Mode screen (with no icons) with only safe mode in the four corners and the version of Windows at the top of the screen.
There is an error message that pops up.
It say: Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safe Mode. Setup will now restart.
The computer just repeats this cycle over and over. I cannot get past this stage.
I've tried rebooting from the C:\ drive and from the CD Rom drive. Neither one works.
I've also tried to cancel the repair/install to no avail.
PLEASE HELP!!
Since I cannot receive mail from my default computer, I am requesting help from another computer.
Thank You,
Nancy

Edited by Nancy3009, 16 January 2006 - 05:50 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I checked the procedure for this, which is:

1. Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For information about how to do this, see your computer documentation, or contact your computer manufacturer.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

3. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.

4. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.

6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

7. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.

8. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:

Enter Load Identifier

This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

c. You receive a message that is similar to the following:

Enter OS Load options

When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

psmcpher

psmcpher

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Holy Crud! This saved my booty! Please keep these older posts active!!

techmissnaz

techmissnaz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your help, I just follow the instruction and it was very helpfull.
Thanks again

basman9000

basman9000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Special Thanks You are the man

Edited by basman9000, 06 July 2010 - 09:10 AM.

martin33

martin33

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I am having the same problem and I read the response to fix it. My problem is the adminstrator password is incorrect. Its the password i've always used to sign on. I can't get past this point.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have lost or forgotten your password for logging in to a computer running the Windows XP operating system, there are a few different options:

If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, you can use that disk to reset the password on your account. For more information on how to create and use password reset disks go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q305478

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q306214

If you don't have a password reset disk, the other option is to log on as the Administrator (or to have the person who is the machine's Administrator log on) and change the password for your user account. For information on how to do this go to the following Microsoft article:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q321305

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

Due to the fact that we cannot verify the truthfulness of your request, we cannot offer any other help to recover any passwords for any system or software installed on your (or anyone Else's) computer. You may very well be asking for legitimate help in a legitimate situation but we cannot be sure of this. For all we know you could be a child trying to get into a parent's account or worse, someone trying to gain access to information that you have been explicitly denied access to by someone of higher authority.

If you have any problems with this please contact a Moderator or an Admin...

Thanks to Dsenette for the instruction.

martin33

martin33

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply. Your help is greatly apppreciated. I am the administrator. My comptuer crashed and i am trying to reinstall Windows. I have the Dell restore disk to load the new Windows XP. I used the same password that i used to log on and it wont work. Its telling me the password is incorrect. When i try to repair or install the new Windows, its in safe mode and cant get out of safe mood. It tells me windows cannot install in a safe mode or repair.

Joe

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why are you trying to log in to anything.

If it is the OS installation disk from Dell just set the bios so that the cdrom is the first boot device. From there the recovery disk should format the drive and the reinstall everything as it was when the system was brand new. If you don't know how to setup the bios the instruction are below.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the Dell XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:

"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

martin33

martin33

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much i will try it tonight. I hit the f12 key last night and booted from the cd drive. It worked till it tried to load windows service pack 1, it went into safe mode.

NandhuLaxman

NandhuLaxman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
wow........ My problem solved. Thank u.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

wow........ My problem solved. Thank u.

I'm glad we could help and if you could please post what finally resolved your issue so it may help others in the future. Congratulations for a successful resolution to your issue. :)

Joseph McCabe

Joseph McCabe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you for some very clear and concise information on this issue. Following your directions I was able to complete my installation without any further trouble.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for letting us know and I'm happy we could help you resolve your issue. :thumbsup:

psycho6836

psycho6836

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay..need some help...my apologies if I bvd a typo..using my DROID bionic to post.. I've got my dads compaq Pissaro v5000 with 32bit xp.. started out with just a blue screen.. tried to go t safe mode..got stuck on system32/drivers/multiple.sys ... did sum 4&r..said to load xp disk and hit repair..then o got xp to load the loading bar goes by 12Tab times blue screens and restarts.. went back to repair disk to see if it'd help and got another error...don't remember.. so I threw an old/slake hd in and formatted it and reinstalled. Xp...works just fine... normal id just say forget t and format his hd and co found..but h needs info and I don't have a transfer cable..and at this point... I wanna fix it to show it who'd boss..lol.. I tried thread erections..didn't help.. still blue screens in normal mode and still says set up cannotcontinue in warped mode.. I should also ad that upon bootup..in safe mode or norm..after doing there'd instructions it now lists 2 colts of xp which still. Does same thing and in both "versions" in safemode..it still get hung up on drivers/lips.sys.. butt goes last to canny continue in safemode...

Thanks for the help in advanced and let me no if I confused u or didn't make any since...again using DROID bionic.. rooted n modded!