Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot configure wireless connection on computer

• Please log in to reply

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have this one computer in my house that uses a Motorola wireless adapter to connect to an 802.11g network through a router. However, recently, the computer acted up. I reformatted it, and reinstalled the adapter software. However, i cannot access its control panel to configure any options. This i have no explanation for. I have no option to make windows use its own controls instead of the software's because i have no connection (see next paragraph).

On top of that, Windows (SP2) is not letting me configure a wireless connection. I press setup a wireless connection and enter the SSID (named Wireless) but it doesn't do anything. I have no options to configure which networks to connect to. For example, in the wireless connection box, it will not let me choose preferred networks because it says there is no connection.

In the network connections window, all i have is 1394 connection and local area connection (disconnected). No wireless connection, no matter how many times i set one up.

What i don't know is if this is a problem related to the adapter or windows. I would think it is the adapter since i just reformatted windows to factory conditions, and the problem persisted.

Thanks very much.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Supertyphoon!

Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, are there any items listed that have a yellow ? or ! next to it? If so, please list them in your reply.

Fenor

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
In device manager, i have a big question mark next to the sound card and pci input device since i haven't installed that. I will do that now and see if it fixes it.

Also, i saw the adapter listed in the manager, i clicked it, the systray icon showed up. It clicked it, and it said good signal strength. But after a few seconds the window disappeared, and the adapter entry disappeared from device manager.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Uninstall the software that came with your wireless adaptor. After it is uninstalled, reboot your computer. While the computer is rebooting, put the cd for the wireless adaptor in your cd-rom drive. Once windows is booted up, the new hardware wizard should start because it detects your wireless adapter. In the new hardware wizard, have it search for the driver in your CD-ROM drive. It should find and install the driver. Once that's done, you should see a new icon down by your clock for the wireless connection. Right-click it and select view available wireless networks. Locate your wireless connection in the list and choose connect and enter the encryption key, if any is set up. You should then be connected to your wireless network.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 January 2007 - 04:29 AM.

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried that, except windows would not recognize the hardware. I tried forcing it too, but no luck. This leads me to believe it could be a hardware problem...

Tonight, i will go to the store and buy a super long ethernet cable and hook it up from my room to the computer room.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try plugging the device into one of the ports on the back of the computer instead of the one's in the front. If that doesn't work, then the device is probably defective. Try plugging it into someone elses computer and see if it is recognized.

Fenor