Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to LAN

• Please log in to reply

Tone7171

Tone7171

• Pip
  • 3 posts
A couple of days ago I was browsing the internet and my internet connection was lost somehow. It would not load any other page other than the one i was currently on. However, i was still connected to my chatting program i was using and was talking to people. Also, i was still able to connect to other users iTunes music libraries, (i live in a college dorm). So, i decided a simple restart would fix the problem. After the restart i had lost all internet connectivity. But the LAN icon still appeared on the bottom left, i opened it and have clicked the repair button many times and it says its fine. But I am still not able to browse online or connect to AIM/Trillian. But the funny thing is, i am sill able to view and listen to other peoples iTunes music library, and they can still connect to mine.

At this point i was really confused so i did a system restore to a few days ago, before it happened. Tried going online again, still nothing. I have tried plugging in other cables into my computer and still no connection. I have plugged my cable into other peoples computers and they can go online. So i know that the problem has something to do with my computer. Oh, and if you were wondering i am posting this from my friends computer.

I do not know what to do. I run Spybot, Ad-Aware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware once a week and nothing has been found. I have not had a virus on my computer since as long as i remember. I use firefox, which prevents any unwanted things getting onto my computer. My trial of Avast Anti Virus expired a while ago and i havent gotten a new one. BUt since then i havent had any problems with anything. At this point i really dont know what to do. I am going to take it to my IT place on campus and see if they can fix it. I really dont want to do a full system restore becuase i have so many files id need to backup.

Any ideas on what i should do? Any help would be awesome.

Edited by Tone7171, 01 May 2005 - 03:37 PM.

Advertisements

Tone7171

Tone7171

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am now connected to the internet through my wireless connection i have on my computer. I still do not understand why this works and not my LAN