Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

kawichick

kawichick

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I cannot get my desktop back online. I know that my modem and all the connections work fine as I am using them all right now on my laptop. I was trying to set up a wireless router the other day and everything has been screwy since. I must have changed a setting somewhere, trying to get back up again, but now I have no idea what it was. I am running XP and have cable internet. Please let me know what information you need to help me out. Thanks in advance!

***edited to add some things....

I tried refreshing the IP, no joy. It keeps coming up as 169.xx.xx.xx and I know that isn't right. There also is no DNS suffix or Default gateway. Here are the two messages that I have gotten while trying to figure this out.

"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation." -Does this mean I fried my ethernet port?

"Could not display DNS Resolver Cache." When I tried 'repairing' the network connection it said it could not clear the DNS cache and to contact whoever maintains my network, so I'm guessing its not even there?

Again, thanks for any and all help in advance. This is just driving me nuts!

Edited by kawichick, 13 August 2006 - 06:54 PM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If you are running XP SP2 Go to Start / Run / and open=cmd /OK. Type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) press enter. Restart your computer. Still no joy? Go to Start /run /open=msconfig /OK. Click on Boot.ini. click "safe boot. Click Network next to safe boot. click OK and click restart computer. Once in Safe Mode click on your account and check your ability to surf. If you can surf then something that has been starting with your PC is blocking you off the Internet. The usual suspects for this are Norton, McAfee, and Spysweeeper. If still not able to surf? Go to Start/ Control Panel/ System/ Hardware/ Device Manger. Expand Network Adapters. Right click on the NIC and click uninstall. Exit the Device Manager and go to Start /Run / open=msconfig /OK. On the general tab click normal startup /OK. restart computer. Once your back into your account check your ability to surf. No? Check Network connections for the local area connection and see if it's connected(or present, if not present check the Device Manger to make sure it re-installed at boot up) If your still getting a 169 or 0 ip I'd replace the NIC

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks Silverbeard! So far, no joy though. Swiped hubby's ethernet card and gonna try that next. I'll post again with an update. Crossing my fingers that it works.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Latest update....

Installed hubby's ethernet card in my computer. I know that its good. Still no joy. I connect it to the cable modem and it just sits at "aquiring network", indefinitely. I have tried "repairing" it, but it still comes up with the error that it could not clear the DNS Cache. I don't even know what that is. When I look for anything "DNS" in cmd, it can't find anything. Am I missing an important file or something? I am so lost and frustrated. :help: :blink: :whistling: Thanks in advance for helping me out.
~Salim~

edited to add...Just wanted to mention that every time I uninstall and reinstall the controllers the Local Area Connection name changes to a higher number. Like, right now there is only one connection there but it is number 8. Don't know if that means anything, but I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by kawichick, 17 August 2006 - 10:28 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
With a known working NIC there are a couple of other things you can try. Have you tried a System Restore (Start/ All Programs/ Accessories/ System tools/ System Restore) to a time when the Internet was working. If no restre points are available you can restack the TCP/IP by going to Start/ Run/ open=cmd/ OK. Type in "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" (no quotes) and press enter. Exit command promt and check your ability to surf. If still not working try Start/ Run/ Open="sfc /scannow" (no quotes)/ OK. This can take some time and requires a windows install disk of the same version as your running if it needs to replace corrupted files.

Here is one other thought. Is your hubbies PC able to surf through the modem? Is there a router in the equation? Is th other PC able to surf through the router? I work tech support for an ISP and the first thing we always do is restart the CPE (costumer premises equipment). With what you've done already It's a real possibility the CPE may be the issue and not your PC.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
There currently is no router involved. Hubby's computer and this laptop can both surf through the modem alone. I will try your latest suggestions and get back to you. Thanks!

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Tried the reset and it did reload quite a bit. Still a no go though. I'm lost. I know the modem works cause that is how I am connected to post here. I know the ethernet card works cause it works in hubby's computer. It won't refresh the IP and when it does find one its always a 169, and then it says that stuff about clearing the DNS cache. When I restarted the last time it said something about not being able to find bxxs5.dll. Is that something that I need? Thanks again for all your help. I just wish something would work already.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You have a spyware infection. http://www.google.co...n-US:unofficial Reading through some of the google links you may need to move this over to the malware forum.It looks like it may be a part of Cool Web Search. Ad-aware or Spybot may help.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Running SpyBot, Ad-Aware and Hijack this now. I'll let you know if it helps. Thanks!

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Spyware programs run and everything is clean. Still cannot connect to the internet. I'm stumped, and frustrated. I just don't understand how all the hardware is working, but I still can't get through.

Advertisements

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
go to alll the settings of your router...
do a master reset. it may be called rever to factory settings or something like that.

try it again.

the problem is froom the settings for sure. your manual is your best friend right now

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Not using a router. Connected straight into the cable modem. I have reset and reinstalled it more times than I can count.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok.... not what i expected

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The only other thing I can think of is the DHCP Client isn't working. Check Start/ Control Panel/ Administrative Tools/ Services. You should see DHCP Client. Doublee click and make sure it's started. If started then that is probably not the issue. If Stopped and won't Start then You'll have to hack the registry to make it work again. There are several sites you an find on Google that have the registry settings. Remember to back up your registry before making modifications!
http://www.google.co...n-US:unofficial

Edited by silverbeard, 22 August 2006 - 10:00 AM.

kawichick

kawichick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
DHCP client is started. I'm about ready to reload the computer. I can't think of any other things to check. It really doesn't make any dang sense either. SO frustrating. Thanks for the help though.