Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get Windows to boot into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

TheGrooby

TheGrooby

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I cannot get Windows to boot into Safe Mode. When I press F8 at laod up it brings me to the menu to choose to boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, boot normally.... If I choose anything except "normal" my computer restarts and brings me back to the same screen. It will do this infinitely until I boot in normal mode. Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I don't think there's a boot safe mode.. There's only a boot normally in safe mode :whistling:

TheGrooby

TheGrooby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I don't think there's a boot safe mode.. There's only a boot normally in safe mode :whistling:

What? There is an option to boot into safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, and normal.

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

I don't think there's a boot safe mode.. There's only a boot normally in safe mode :blink:

What? There is an option to boot into safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, and normal.

Okays! :whistling: I know at first I thought you were referring to safe mode boot like safe mode boot normal.
What are you going to choose *safe mode* because that will direct you to your account.. Then once your are done restart windows and boot in safe mode normal.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to geekstogo
first off, this is a rare problem, may I ask if the computer is showing any signs of malware, not knowing myself I am wondering if repair with XPcd would work here, also in msconfig, you have various safemode options and I am wondering if these too are blocked by whatever it is, so short of someone offering a better idea, one could either check for malware in the malware section, or repair with XPcd, or perhaps system restore to a point prior the start of this problem.

Edited by fleamailman, 07 February 2007 - 01:12 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
it appears that he has a highjack post in the malware forum
and he has another that he has been answering his own posting
dont answer or respond to your own post in the malware forum
this will delay any help..it will show that your being helped
the malware experts will over look your problem

http://www.geekstogo...lp-t148051.html

http://www.geekstogo...le-t147933.html

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks rushin2nd
I will sign out now, follow advise in malware section please, thks

TheGrooby

TheGrooby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hi, welcome to geekstogo
first off, this is a rare problem, may I ask if the computer is showing any signs of malware, not knowing myself I am wondering if repair with XPcd would work here, also in msconfig, you have various safemode options and I am wondering if these too are blocked by whatever it is, so short of someone offering a better idea, one could either check for malware in the malware section, or repair with XPcd, or perhaps system restore to a point prior the start of this problem.

I have XP Media Center Edition that came with my Dell but no CD came with it. All the restoration software is somewhere on my computer. As far as msconfig, I tried checking the box that says to restart in safe mode and ended up messing up big time. It put me in an endless loop of reboots that kept bringing me back to the boot menu screen to boot in safe or normal mode and neither option would boot windows. I had to remove my hard drive and install it on someone else's computer, access it, and delete the syntax "/safemode minimal" from the boot.ini file to get it to load windows again. What other options do I have?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo
your case insterests me and if you start another post of your own other members will find it easier than they would posted to this another person's thread and you would receive more replies

TheGrooby

TheGrooby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

hi, welcome to geekstogo
your case insterests me and if you start another post of your own other members will find it easier than they would posted to this another person's thread and you would receive more replies

I don't understand... This is my own thread. :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks to me as if one of the basic drivers that are being loaded during safe mode is corrupted, causing the restarts. (Usually it's the other way around, normal mode is not functioning while safe mode is loadable.).

Try to borrow an xp home edition installation disk, put it in the cd drive, click Exit when it loads up. Now click start > run. Type sfc /scannow (please note the space) and OK. A slow moving blue bar should show up and disappear at the end of the process. This should scan and fix many system files. Try safe mode.

TheGrooby

TheGrooby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

It looks to me as if one of the basic drivers that are being loaded during safe mode is corrupted, causing the restarts. (Usually it's the other way around, normal mode is not functioning while safe mode is loadable.).

Try to borrow an xp home edition installation disk, put it in the cd drive, click Exit when it loads up. Now click start > run. Type sfc /scannow (please note the space) and OK. A slow moving blue bar should show up and disappear at the end of the process. This should scan and fix many system files. Try safe mode.

I just tried that and after it got done scanning my files it asked for me to put in the Windows XP Professional CD 2. I have a Dell and they do not ship their computers with any CDs. They claim all the files are on the computer. What other options do I have?

swordofdestiny

swordofdestiny

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
What they mean by "all the files are on the computer" is that the computer is shipped with a "restore partition" meaning during startup if you hit a special key combination you can "restore" your computer to it's default factory settings. My 2001 HP Pavilion 7935 has one. I think the combination is ctrl + F11 at least it was on a Dell that belongs to a friend of mine. I know mine had a "non-destructive" repair thing that let you basically reinstall windows without losing any data, normally that caused my pc to slow (course the last time I did that, I still thought Norton was good [4 years ago]). I don't know how Dell does it, but if Dell has an advanced enough "restore" thing, it may be able to do a repair install such as on the XP Home edition. Honestly, I don't like XP Home anymore, (Pro came on my laptop and the difference between the two is amazing [1.6 ghz on laptop to 1.3 ghz desktop, 300 megahurtz doesn't make THAT much of a difference does it?]). That may be an option, but I just got into the PC Repair business (recently being yesterday I got hired at a repair store so that I can learn more about hardware). I have disinfected a lot of friend's computers who wont believe me about IE being unsafe.

TheGrooby

TheGrooby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

What they mean by "all the files are on the computer" is that the computer is shipped with a "restore partition" meaning during startup if you hit a special key combination you can "restore" your computer to it's default factory settings. My 2001 HP Pavilion 7935 has one. I think the combination is ctrl + F11 at least it was on a Dell that belongs to a friend of mine. I know mine had a "non-destructive" repair thing that let you basically reinstall windows without losing any data, normally that caused my pc to slow (course the last time I did that, I still thought Norton was good [4 years ago]). I don't know how Dell does it, but if Dell has an advanced enough "restore" thing, it may be able to do a repair install such as on the XP Home edition. Honestly, I don't like XP Home anymore, (Pro came on my laptop and the difference between the two is amazing [1.6 ghz on laptop to 1.3 ghz desktop, 300 megahurtz doesn't make THAT much of a difference does it?]). That may be an option, but I just got into the PC Repair business (recently being yesterday I got hired at a repair store so that I can learn more about hardware). I have disinfected a lot of friend's computers who wont believe me about IE being unsafe.

IE is a joke. I'm just not all up to going with the system restore from within the computer's HD. I'd rather have a CD on hand to fix it. I'll look around the system restore and see how advanced it is... Ok, so I looked. All it offers is to restore to a previous point. I've actually attempted restoring to about 4 weeks ago with no good results and I don't feel comfortable restoring everything to previous states. I like the idea of simply repairing certain system files.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems that you have XP professional installed on your computer. Previously I asked you to borrow a home edition. Can you get xp pro installation disk? If yes, repeat the procedure mentioned in my previous post.