Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed CPU now windows dosnt work

• Please log in to reply

Roofus

Roofus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum wasnt sure where to go
Anyway long story short, i changed the CPU in my computer (friend phoned overclockers.co.uk for me and checked that the new cpu is compatable with my motherboard and was told yes) and now on start up after the first loading page the computer gives me the option of either repairing windows or starting normally.

now if i start normally the pc just restarts itself and if i choose repair it goes to a blank screen and does nothing. (using windows 7 but dont have disk as it was an online upgrade from vista, also im on my dads pc posting this since my pc dosnt work ^^ )

now i understand if none of you can help me but my friend artellos tells me you guys are the best so im hoping you can ^^

Advertisements

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
did you make sure the bios was the latest version before updating the cpu ?

and what cpu did you have, what did you upgrade to, and what motherboard do you have ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Roofus! I don't know you, but Artellos is a great mate so we're all connected in some way. :)

What happens if you put the original CPU back in?

Roofus

Roofus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well for a start i didnt know bios had updates or such =S

second would prefer avoiding switching cpus around again as the heatsink is a b*gger to put on since one of the little attachment pole things sits right under the fan.

and yeah artie is a great mate, if only he wasnt so busy with his girlfriend right now ;p

Roofus

Roofus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
had a bit of inspiration last night (i hope) and im attempting to download a repair/boot disk for windows 7 (64 bit same as my one) hoping that might be able to help repair the problem

Roofus

Roofus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
new info

havnt had a chance to try the disk as somehow during the night the bios seems to have broken

now when it starts up it says "main bios checksum error"
"retreiving recovery from HPA" then it seems to wait for a little bit before restarting the pc and starting all over again. cant even access the bios now =(

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey Roo!

Sorry to hear your PC broke down :)
What Make/Model is the PC again?

*Artellos waves at Troy
Hai Buddy!

Regards,
Olrik

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
GIRLFRIEND!!! WHAT'S THE NEWS MR ARTELLOS!!!! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh and to Roofus, yeah man gimme the make and model of the motherboard. Half the time you'll find it's possible to recover the BIOS.

Definitely not a Windows issue needing repair as Windows can pick that stuff up on the fly no worries.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
:) This really wouldn't be Geeks to Go without all the offtopicness, wouldn't it? :)

Any ideas on the subject though, Troy?
Haven't heard of this specific issue myself. Will need to dig on google.

EDIT: Nevermind that, you got it before I did. :)

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 30 June 2010 - 04:12 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I heard from reliable sources that the motherboard is a gigabyte ep43-ds3

Regards,
Olrik

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://download.giga...n...s3®_e.pdf

Page 105 = troubleshooting

But doesn't seem to be too much help. First off have you tried jumping the CMOS to reset default values? As per page 105 from above.

Otherwise...

When the computer is turned on does the DVD drive light flash like it's seeking? If so then turn it off, replace the CPU with the original one, and reboot the computer with the motherboard drivers disc in the DVD drive. It should find and recover the BIOS from there.

artm12

artm12

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello Friend,
It would be better if you discuss with tech support people according to your computer problem. I am sure tech support people will guide you properly for solve your problems.

Thanks,
James

Edited by wannabe1, 02 July 2010 - 06:55 PM.
Remove spam link

Roofus

Roofus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
allright updates decided to have the pc taken into a repair store (sorry im just one of those guys that cant survive without his pc for long D= ) and they said the problem was apprently the leap from a duo core to a quad core was too big for the pc itself so i need to save what i want then format the hard drive and start from scratch (i got the pc back with the original cpu inside and it works fine).

now onto problem number two:
now that my pc is back suddenly my wireless adapter cannot pick up any networks at all. its a belkin wireless n f5d8051 v3.100uk
im using windows 7 64-bit if i havnt allready said ^^
now windows is saying the problem is that "windows couldnt automatically bind the ip protocal stack to the network adaptor"

Edit update: also discovered that the device wont enable either =(

offtopic comment: my bad artie didnt know you hadnt told them ^^

Edited by Roofus, 02 July 2010 - 04:21 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Me and Roofus are trying system restore now. (Over MSN)

Regards,
Olrik