Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Coco-pops, keyboard and other software issues

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

A few days ago my daughter mess the laptop with cocopops and milk (yeah I Know - @#~]’@.? - but it happens).

I waited a some time, started the laptop, and it booted OK – when I say OK I mean OS started (there was some bips but…) – all programs worked OK, broadband, sound, screen - more or less everything OK.
There were only issues related to the keyboard: letter “m”, “space”, “.” and “\” (left of the space) don’t work; I tried to clean it (remove the button itself) – well “space” is working, but no luck with “m”, “.” and “\”…

It was like this a for a day or two… But now there are few more issues:

1. on IE: when opened, it will not open my default page, but cursor in the address bar just starts to move space by space from the left to the right, and that it stops at the right end.
2. on Outlook: when open, very often highlighted first massage in inbox, and as above, scroll slowly to the end of inbox highlighting messages one by one
3. this is much more serious: when it boots, first start to beep and that it shows the message:

---------------------------

Hardware Profile/Configuration Recovery Menu

This menu allows you to select a hardware profile to be used when Windows is started.

If your system is not starting correctly, than you may switch to a previous system configuration, which may overcome startup problems.
IMPORTANT: System configuration changes made since the last successful startup will be discarded.

Profile 1 (THIS IS HIGHLIGHTED)

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to the selection you want. Then press ENTER.
To swich to the Last Known Good configuration, press “L”.
To Exit this menu and restart your computer, press F3.

------------------

If I press “L”, it shows the same message, but in the line where previous were “L” shows: “to switch to default configuration, press “D”.
Well, on press “D” shows: press “L”, … well, you know what comes after press “L”

When I press enter, which is Profile 1 from the message, it boots itself, but with beeps occasionally (not always), OS works OK, all programs as well, but with the problems mentioned above.

Would you please advice me on the following:
- is this hardware issue? (sorry I am asking this – its obviously related to the keyboard, but what can be cause for the IE and Outlook problems?)
- is it possible to resolve (clean?) the keyboard issues?
- If problems under 1. and 2. are software issues, what do I do to check it and resolve it?

Spec: Laptop is Advent 7085, Pentium M 725 1.66GHz, 256MB, 40GB HD

Laptop runs XP with all latest updates, no virus or spyware issues…

I will appreciate any help with this. I will also reply immediately with the action (as I will stay online here with my PC) – well, my daughter needs laptop for the uni… (so she can spill out frosties next time!!!)

If necessary, please advice, if this post partly goes under XP problems forum…

Thank you for the help.

Regards,

Den

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Just one more thing: I am not dumb for the computers (I think/hope), so whatever you suggest I will able to do quickly…
Regards,
Den

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this sounds like the keyboard is in bad shape....you might THINK the spacebar is fixed...but there's a posibility that the contacts on the button that it presses are shorted out...which would do exactly what you're talking about....if you open outlook...and press the space bar it will move from message to message....when IE opens...usually the address in the address bar starts out highlighted...if you press space....that will get rid of the address...thereby not going anywhere..though...that's a little more on the weird side

the error you're referencing on boot up...MIGHT be caused by a keyboard error....it may be the case that your keyboard is beyond repair and may need a replacement...

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you very much for quick reply.

I thought so… I’ll check online how to replace the keyboard for this laptop.

In the meantime, please is there anything I could try with the keyboard tonight… if not, don’t bother waist the time…

Thank you. Regards,

Den

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...you can always take the keys off and see if there's anything obvious...like milk still in there...or a coco pop

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
If you aren't too worried about the keyboard, (and will replace it with a cheap one)...I have seen a couple times where people have sprayed as best they could with canned air, then dunked the sucker in the sink (WATER ONLY)....then leave it to dry for about 12 hours. Bottled water would be best though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

If you aren't too worried about the keyboard, (and will replace it with a cheap one)...I have seen a couple times where people have sprayed as best they could with canned air, then dunked the sucker in the sink (WATER ONLY)....then leave it to dry for about 12 hours. Bottled water would be best though.

as a technical note for both of you...DUNKING A LAPTOP IN THE SINK IS A BAD IDEA!!

jwinathome...please read the post before commenting...i little reading will save you a lot of embarrassment

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
WATER??? I am not sure for that - but i am sure i'll not do that!

Regarding dsenette post (well...you can always take the keys off and see if there's anything obvious...like milk still in there...or a coco pop ):
Well, its nothing obvious, but I’ll be not surprise if there is “yogurt” somewhere deep inside…

You know, it was actually matter of time when this will happen: they chat online, browse the web, speak on phone and mobile, eat, and all of it in the same time… you simple can explain to my kids to slow down. And now of course they have to have laptop for tomorrow. Hm, well there - no one can help me…

Thank you. Regards,

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Please one quick question?
Can I, in this case, just buy normal keyboard (as for PS)? I hope its not so dumb question – I don’t have a cable to try directly my PC keyboard right now…
Thank you
Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
sorted out with external keyboard.
thank you for help.
regards,
den

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry i didn't answer that..yeah you can (obviously since you did) use an external keyboard...it's just a pain in the but on a laptop hehe

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Lol - good one – now its Crap-Top.

What do you think: how many bawls of cocopops and frosties can external keyboard survive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alot more than the laptop.....hehe....

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*

as a technical note for both of you...DUNKING A LAPTOP IN THE SINK IS A BAD IDEA!!

jwinathome...please read the post before commenting...i little reading will save you a lot of embarrassment

Yeah, i missed the laptop part.

Why would I be embarrassed?

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
True... I am not going to take a bath with the “Crap-Top”, but I will try take out the keyboard at the weekend (If I manage this of course) and maybe try clean it with compressed air and/or alcohol.
Maybe this will be better idea.
Anyway, I’ll update you if this is working, so maybe someone else can be brave and save some money on this cheap option…
(yeah, I am brave only because external is working…)

And for dsenette – keep counting – knowing my kids, I’ll bet on 3 bowls…

Regards

Den