Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp won't boot

• Please log in to reply

samiamnurnot

samiamnurnot

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Okay; here it is. My son's computer suddenly won't boot-up. Here's what happened. Last night, he's playing a game, he finishes, then he shuts down the computer in the normal manner. This morning, he goes to turn the computer back on, and it won't boot-up. So here I am, "Don't worry son, I'll fix it for you." Several hours later, I'm wanting to throw the damned thing out the window.

What we're dealing with: Toshiba computer, 300mhz PII processor, 64mb sdram, Windows ME.

Symptoms: I push the power button, it comes on, I hear the fan, but that's it. No other noise, no beep, and the monitor stays black. No error message…Nothing. There is power to the CD Rom.

Actions taken so far: I checked to make sure the power cord is plugged in all the way, made sure the monitor is securely connected, I even changed the power cord to see if that had anything to do with it. I opened the tower, and checked all of the ribbon cables, and all of the power connections. That's all good. I then tried disconnecting everything but the hard drive, but it still doesn't boot-up. HELP!! I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thank you.

--Sam :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

(I assume this is an ATX power supply, not an AT one, right?)

Can you try the following please (wear a static strap or discharge your static first before touching the components):

Disconnect the power & unplug the main internal ATX power lead to the motherboard

Remove any pci cards/ISA cards

Remove all the drive (hard disk/CD/floppy) cabling from the motherboard but leave the power connected to the drives.

If you have an agp or pci video card, remove & reseat in the slot.

Remove the slot1 processor & reinsert it. (Remember to release the catches that lock it in place first). When reinserting, push down evenly on the cpu to make sure it is inserted fully at both ends. You need to be firm but don't force it.

If you can locate the Clear cmos jumper, then move the jumper to the clear position for 30 seconds, then replace. If you can't find it, then remove the cmos battery instead for the same amount of time.

Remove & reinsert the memory modules

Reconnect the main internal power connector & then try to boot the system again. Let me know what happens.