Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes shortly after startup

• Please log in to reply

abneb217

abneb217

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if my problem is a software issue but I ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware scan and it didn't find anything so I'm posting here.
Shortly after starting up my computer freezes - nothing responds...not the keyboard, not the mouse...only thing I can do is reboot.
I did notice that ogaverify.exe and wgatray.exe take up close to 100% of the CPU usage between them. Not sure why that is but the machine has a legal copy of both Windows & Office.
FYI - machine is running XP SP3 and has Office 2003 installed.

I just tried running the machine in Safe Mode and it also froze after a while (ogaverify.exe & wgatray.exe were not running in safe mode).

And one more thing - when i type CMD in the Run window and hit ok, everything disappears - all i see is a clean desktop, no taskbar, no icons...nothing- for a few seconds then reappears but the dos window doesn't open. the same thing happens when i click on cmd.exe within c:\windows\system32

Any help/leads on where to look would be appreciated.

TIA

Edited by abneb217, 21 May 2009 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If you're able to...

Download, install, and run Whats Running.
Click on Take snapshot in the left pane.
New pop-up window will open.
Click on Save snapshot, and save the file as snap (.xml extension will be added automatically) to know location.

Posted Image

Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I just tried running the machine in Safe Mode and it also froze after a while (ogaverify.exe & wgatray.exe were not running in safe mode).

If they were not running, what was consuming your CPU?

abneb217

abneb217

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
attached is snap.zip

edge2022 - i honestly didn't notice.

Also, the machine has been off for about 12 hours and now when i turned it on to follow Broni's instructions, I didn't see those 2 processes running at all. I have no idea what's with this machine. So far it's been on for about 10 minutes and functioning ok but i have a strange feeling that as soon as I post this it'll freeze again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  snap.zip   60.15KB   450 downloads

abneb217

abneb217

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
some more info -
the machine has been running for a couple of hours without incident (wasn't doing anything, just had task manager open...though i did run a full Malwarebytes scan & again didn't find anything). Then, I decided to open up a browser window (IE 6 is installed on the machine). I walked away for a few minutes, came back and the machine was frozen.
right now it's shut down.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
At the time of the snapshot, System Idle Process CPU usage was listed at 63.7%, and almost all of the rest of the resources was used by svchost.exe at 33.3%.
High CPU usage by svchost.exe is always suspicious, so I suggest...

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

abneb217

abneb217

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks Broni.

I started a new thread in the Malware section after following the guide - new thread in Malware section
any way to get the Mods there to look at it ahead of other new threads since I've had this open in this category for a few days?

Regardless, thanks again.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

any way to get the Mods there to look at it ahead of other new threads

Unfortunately, no. :)

abneb217

abneb217

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip