Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts over and over....

• Please log in to reply

bipolarbear27

bipolarbear27

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I have a Gateway computer that is restarting itself over and over no matter how I choose to start it. I looked at the "How to repair Windows XP" post pertaining to this problem, but I didn't find the info to meet my situation. I only have my Recovery Gateway type discs that only mention Windows XP and since my Windows XP was pre-installed I don't have an actual retail disc. My roommate has an actual disc which I loaded up to get the screens that are shown in the "How to repair Windows XP" post, but when I get to the third blue screen of "Windows XP Professional Setup", there is no listing that I have Windows XP installed on my computer. So I don't even get the option to choose it in order to hit "R" to repair it. Instead, I get three options:

*To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
*To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
*To delete the selected partition, press D.

And I read that if a Windows XP installation is not listed then it might be too corrupted. Well then what are my options? I have a lot of documents that I don't want to lose. Someone please help me out. My solution might be buried in the How to Repair Windows XP post and I just missed it. Ask me any questions about any information that i have forgot to provide. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Micah

Advertisements

BryanW

BryanW

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
You have to choose the
To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER
make sure you don't choose the option "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R"
Accept the License Agreement, Windows will then search for previous installations
Select the Install you want to repair and then push R, if repair is not given as an option, END SETUP

mohater

mohater

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
You might run into a brick wall if you use your roommates disc as the alograthim for the code varies from manufacture, to edition, to etc..

You don't need a retail disc to restore your computer, but there are 2 options to restore using the disc:

Restore - which rolls back XP to the version that was installed when you got the laptop (this corrects corrupt OSs, it will NOT be a good fix for any mal-ware).
Clean install - wipes clean and starts over.

There are many tools to recover your data. I prefer to use knoppix (a fully bootable Linux OS that will let you read your hdd and copy files to an external or burn a CD/DVD).

edit: the guy above told you how to do the restore.

Edited by mohater, 17 November 2008 - 07:35 PM.

bipolarbear27

bipolarbear27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You have to choose the
To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER
make sure you don't choose the option "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R"
Accept the License Agreement, Windows will then search for previous installations
Select the Install you want to repair and then push R, if repair is not given as an option, END SETUP

Well what can I do if Repair is not given as an option and I don't want to wipe clean and lose all my documents?

bipolarbear27

bipolarbear27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You might run into a brick wall if you use your roommates disc as the alograthim for the code varies from manufacture, to edition, to etc..

You don't need a retail disc to restore your computer, but there are 2 options to restore using the disc:

Restore - which rolls back XP to the version that was installed when you got the laptop (this corrects corrupt OSs, it will NOT be a good fix for any mal-ware).

There are many tools to recover your data. I prefer to use knoppix (a fully bootable Linux OS that will let you read your hdd and copy files to an external or burn a CD/DVD).

So say I could use Knoppix to copy document files that i want and then do a clean install or format to get my computer back to working form? I'm kinda computer stupid when it comes to this type junk so any obvious information pertaining to this i would really appreciate. thanks.

BryanW

BryanW

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Yes you can use knoppix to copy files. You do need somewhere to copy the files to though, either another hard drive, flash drive, or burn it to CD or DVD. I am not sure if Knoppix is by default a LiveCD or not(I use Ubuntu), so just make sure it is a LiveCD or maybe mohater can help you with that part. G'luck

bipolarbear27

bipolarbear27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes you can use knoppix to copy files. You do need somewhere to copy the files to though, either another hard drive, flash drive, or burn it to CD or DVD. I am not sure if Knoppix is by default a LiveCD or not(I use Ubuntu), so just make sure it is a LiveCD or maybe mohater can help you with that part. G'luck

Okay cool. What is a LiveCD? thanks!!!!

mohater

mohater

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

So say I could use Knoppix to copy document files that i want and then do a clean install or format to get my computer back to working form? I'm kinda computer stupid when it comes to this type junk so any obvious information pertaining to this i would really appreciate. thanks.

Knoppix is a free standing OS - you pop in the CD, boot from CD, and in a couple mins tops you'll have a screen with a desktop and the *almost* full hardware support.

Somethings to keep in mind:

You have to enable read/write mode (it's ready only by default)
If you copy files to an external, it can't be formatted in NTFS, it needs to be fat32.

If you decide to download knoppix and do a clean install, let me know if you have other questions about knoppix. I was in the same boat a couple years ago and knoppix saved me by letting me break NTFS encryption to get to my docs and other folders.

edit: the google is very useful for definitions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

Edited by mohater, 17 November 2008 - 08:12 PM.

BryanW

BryanW

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
A LiveCD is an operating system that boots and runs directly from the CD. I posted a link to a good description of what a liveCD is.

http://www.wisegeek....s-a-live-cd.htm

EDIT: I'm gonna let mohater take over here. I'm sure he will be able to tell you everything you need to know.

Edited by BryanW, 17 November 2008 - 08:16 PM.

bipolarbear27

bipolarbear27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Knoppix is a free standing OS - you pop in the CD, boot from CD, and in a couple mins tops you'll have a screen with a desktop and the *almost* full hardware support.

Somethings to keep in mind:

You have to enable read/write mode (it's ready only by default)
If you copy files to an external, it can't be formatted in NTFS, it needs to be fat32.

If you decide to download knoppix and do a clean install, let me know if you have other questions about knoppix. I was in the same boat a couple years ago and knoppix saved me by letting me break NTFS encryption to get to my docs and other folders.

edit: the google is very useful for definitions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

Thank you a [bleep]ing ton!!! Knoppix worked and I got through all that intense german language and saved all the files i needed onto a flash drive!!!! Such a huge relief. So then i formatted my hard drive and that went smooth but then I started my computer back up and it says:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of above file

What do i do here? I'm not too worried cause i know i'll be able to figure this out. My main concern was just getting those important files and that worked out so this shouldn't drive me nuts. Help me get through this last hiccup. thanks again guys!!!!!

Micah

mohater

mohater

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Thank you a [bleep]ing ton!!! Knoppix worked and I got through all that intense german language and saved all the files i needed onto a flash drive!!!! Such a huge relief. So then i formatted my hard drive and that went smooth but then I started my computer back up and it says:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of above file

What do i do here? I'm not too worried cause i know i'll be able to figure this out. My main concern was just getting those important files and that worked out so this shouldn't drive me nuts. Help me get through this last hiccup. thanks again guys!!!!!

Micah

Something hiccuped with you re-installed windows.

Try doing a full format, not a quick one and reinstall again. If you hit the same problem, then it's possible the boot sector on your hdd is going bad. That just means you can't load an OS on the hdd, you can use it as a secondary drive, just not as a primary.

bipolarbear27

bipolarbear27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Something hiccuped with you re-installed windows.

Try doing a full format, not a quick one and reinstall again. If you hit the same problem, then it's possible the boot sector on your hdd is going bad. That just means you can't load an OS on the hdd, you can use it as a secondary drive, just not as a primary.
[/quote]

Okay I got that fixed and my desktop pulled up. But most of the files that came with my computer are not there even sound devices, etc. So I figured I could just get on the internet and get updates and download them. Well my wireless wouldn't cooperate then I tried plugging the an internet cord directly into my computer and the green light comes on in the back but it will not load Internet Explorer. What is going on?????

mohater

mohater

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Okay I got that fixed and my desktop pulled up. But most of the files that came with my computer are not there even sound devices, etc. So I figured I could just get on the internet and get updates and download them. Well my wireless wouldn't cooperate then I tried plugging the an internet cord directly into my computer and the green light comes on in the back but it will not load Internet Explorer. What is going on?????

You need the drivers for all the hardware. You should have another disc that came with your computer that is labeled "drivers and software" or something of that nature. That will put everything back the way it was when you turned the machine on for the first time.

A driver is the software that lets windows communicate with a device (sound, video, wired network card, wireless network card, etc.)

You can go to the manufacturers' website and download the drivers if you can't find the disc.

Your wired network card will light up even if windows doesn't recognize it.