Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection But No IP; Damaged TCP/IP

• Please log in to reply

chapel

chapel

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I recently have been unable to connect onto my network successfully and get an IP. This occured shortly after I became infected with malware. I am now clean but the connection problem still remains. I've tried to work on this myself, but I've reached a dead end and I'm really trying to have this computer ready for school by monday. Here is what I've tried/figured out so far:
I'm using a Netgear WG311T wireless adapter, and has worked well up until this point so I know it's not the card.
My network has a WEP password, but I'm entering it correctly.
I tried reinstalling the card, but it did nothing for me.
I've also tried "resetting the router" (unplugging for a min then replugging in) but nothing happened.
Other computers in my house are online so I know it's not the network.
Most of the time my Netgear Wireless Assistant can connect without an IP but my windows connection cannot connect at all
I've tried the Ipconfig /renew command in command prompt but I get the message:
"An internal error occured: This action is not supported
Contact Microsoft etc....
Additional information: Can't query host name"

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I believe the last time I had it setup, I had Windows configure the connection and my Netgear would log on and Windows could then obtain an ip or something like that. The only thing I can think of is a bad Registry. Thanks!

Edited by chapel, 12 January 2008 - 02:23 PM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Lets try to reset the TCP/IP stack.

Go to the Start Menu, then Run. In the Run box, type "cmd". In the new black window that pops up, type the following: "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" and hit enter.

Once this command has finished, reboot your computer and test your connection.

Let me know how it goes.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey,
Thanks for helping me out here, i appreciate it. I got the following error unfortunately:

"following command was not found: C:\resetlog.txt"

Any suggestions?

Edited by chapel, 06 January 2008 - 03:30 PM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
ok, lets just try this then

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, are you using mcafee? if so it may be blocking you (if you are) open the control settings and change the protection level from high to medium. This happens after an update from mcafee i not you may still want to check your fire wall. you can also try "ipconfig/release" than ipconfig/renew

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hello, are you using mcafee? if so it may be blocking you (if you are) open the control settings and change the protection level from high to medium. This happens after an update from mcafee i not you may still want to check your fire wall. you can also try "ipconfig/release" than ipconfig/renew

I'm not using Mcafee. The firewall is built into the router which couldn't be on because I'm not connected. Also I turned windows firewall to monitor other or something to that effect so it's off.

Gravity Gripp - I tried the netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt command and nothing happened. It went through but my status didn't change. The resetlog.txt says "completed" so it was successful. The status on the wireless connection says "Not Connected" but when i click on it, it says "are you sure you want to disconnect from this network?" Also, should I let the netgear do the configuring or windows?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I'd like for you to check and make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your wireless adapter.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I downloaded & used their latest firmware installer (5.0) to install the card so the drivers should be the current.

Edited by chapel, 06 January 2008 - 09:54 PM.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
What is the make and model of the card?

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Netgear WG311T PCI Wireless Adapter

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Alright, lets give this a shot.

Download WinSockFix, from MajorGeeks: here

Run that, click Fix and then reboot when it's done.

Let me know how it goes.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Alright, lets give this a shot.

Download WinSockFix, from MajorGeeks: here

Run that, click Fix and then reboot when it's done.

Let me know how it goes.

Nothing. I ran a Diagnostic on my connection with the Qwest Quickcare program that came with my service, and it says that I'm "unplugged", which doesn't make sense because the netgear gets a signal. You think maybe something happened during the card installation?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It's a bit odd.

Ok, last resort.

First, re-download the drivers/firmware for you adapter from netgear.

Then, go to the start menu and then to Run. In the Run box, type this: "devmgmt.msc". Under Network Adapters, find the wireless adapter and then right click on it and go to "Uninstall". Remove the card and wait for about a minute. Reboot. Start the computer back up and then, re-insert the card and let it find it. If it ask for drivers, use he newly downloaded drivers, if not then try it out.

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
is it safe to insert/remove the card from the computer's innards while it's running? I'd perfer not to get electricuted :)

chapel

chapel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay I went through all the steps and I'm still not connected but I'm getting the error message from my Qwest Quickcare "We have detected an error with TCP/IP adapter bindings" and goes on to say that there is no network settings. I thought that this was a dynamic connection, but it might have been static. Is there a way to find out?