Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection tray not responding

• Please log in to reply

gunner12

gunner12

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have searched everywhere for a solution (including this forum) so I hope someone here can help!

I keep losing my connection, I can be online for 5 minutes or 5 hours but eventually I will lose the connection. When I reboot it says "connection tray not responding". I have tried every solution I can find including but not limited to: OS repair, winsock repair, LSP repair, cleaned the registry.

I'm running Windows XP Pro sp2 with current updates

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz, 896 MB of RAM

I'm at wits end, can someone help me!

tia

Advertisements

sumguy

sumguy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
If you are running your internet through a router, that might be the problem, my interent would die every like 5 minutes, and it was a faulty DLINK router

gunner12

gunner12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm not sure what a "DLink" router is! Is there anyway to test it?

We have 3 comps hooked up to the router and my comp is the only one that the connection gets disabled. I have tried swicthing network adapters around and still get the same problem thats why I suspect something is wrong with my computer.

sumguy

sumguy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
OOO ok, my bad, then it must not be the router if you're the only one affected by it..sorry for the wrong info , good luck. Have you tryed researching on google? And have you tryed the program LSP fix? Thats all i can think of, sorry. :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmm, is your network card a Gigaibt? If so, do you have the latest driver for the card?

gunner12

gunner12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have a 2Wire setup so it uses a USB adapter not a card, yes I have updated the driver.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
My guess is that your 2Wire USB setup is the problem.

A Google search for 2Wire gets lots of hits, several of which appear to be forums dedicated to 2Wire problems and technology. Try posting your problem there and see if any help is available.

http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

Curious why you chose this over a standard Ethernet connection?

gunner12

gunner12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
lol! I didn't, my brother did, and it's what earthlink set up for him! I've been trying to get him to upgrade to a Linksys wireless setup, I've even offered to pay for it but...it's his house not mine. :)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
What are your PC specs? Are you on a laptop, or a desktop? If its the latter, then you should just go to RadioShack and buy yourself a $20 10/100 network card, install it, and problem will likely be solved.

Certainly because the cable company suggests it does not mean its the only way to go. By looking at the link posted above, the 2wire solution seems to be awful troublesome and not worth the time.

gunner12

gunner12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Would that require me to get a Erthernet line and connect it to the router 2 floors up or can I use the existing phone line like it does now?

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
That would require Cat5 (or Cat6) cabling. You didn't mention the cabling restriction previous to this. Through 2 floors, wireless may not be an option for you either. How open is the structure in the house? Can you get a cable to the main room?

gunner12

gunner12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
One of the problems I face is my brother owns the house and he doesn't like change :) But I think I have him talked into letting me move things around so that the modem and router would be hooked up to an extra computer that I have on the middle floor and go from there.

With that being the case could I buy our own network set-up and not have to use the one the ISP says we need (we would have to purchase the one they recommend from them of course!) I suspect they just want our money.

What I'm gathering from all this is that the problem is not with my computer but with the network set up. The reason I ask is because everything was working fine till I bought a new computer and now I have this problem on the new computer only, even if I switch the adapters around.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Your new computer is probably faster, causing your drop in connection.

Ever try sucking a bowling ball through a straw?

The wireless setup will require you to have a wireless usb adapter on your PC. These can be unreliable as well. The best bet, for optimum speed and reliability will be to run a new wire to the location of the router.

As far as buying your own "network setup", I have to get an idea of what you are talking about. Do you mean the cable modem, or a router?

If I were you, I would leave the modem that comes with the cable service, and get yourself a decent router. Buy Linksys. It'll cost you about the same price for wireless as it does for just wired. That way if you have a laptop or decide to go with a wireless USB adapter on your desktop, you'll be all set.

The problem is not likely with the "network setup", but with the ancient technology employed to get a connection thats meant to be on 8 wires across 2.

gunner12

gunner12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Your new computer is probably faster, causing your drop in connection.

Yes it is a lot faster than the old one and faster than the other 2 set up on the network.

I think I will go with leaving the modem as is and go with the Linksys router set up, until then I will just have to put up with losing the connection.
I think I can talk my brother into setting everything up on the middle floor and only having to drill 2 holes for the cables.

Thanks, you have been a big help and I appreciate it.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Don't drill holes in the floor. Find yourself someone who works for, has worked for, or is an electrician. They generally understand how to fish a wall and can get you to the different floors without having to cut any holes in the floor.