Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continual Activation of XP

• Please log in to reply

Davisjl

Davisjl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have to keep activating my Windows XP every reboot. It will not get internet connectivity and I have to call the windows telephone number to get the activation key. Once entered it works fine until reboot and the same thing goes on again.

I've copied down the activation key so I don't have to call any more. The key works and let's me boot into the operating system ... but again after reboot I have to go through the activation procedure again.

Any ideas ?

Advertisements

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Try this...boot into safe mode command prompt. browse to the system32 folder under the Windows folder. Look for a file called WPA.DLL. copy it to a disk, thumbdrive, etc.. and then rename the version on the PC to something like WPA.BAD. Restart. You should be able to go through the activation process one last time. Cross your fingers and restart again. Hopefully this will solve your problem.
Obviously, if your PC won't boot into windows after renaming that file, put it back the way it was by changing the name back to WPA.DLL

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
He means wpa.dbl....

There is no wpa.dll.

Also, unfortunately, that 64 million digit key code you entered will not work again.

In fact, this process will not work, sad to say, though it sounds logical.

The problem is not in the wpa.dbl file, which includes your activation info, but somewhere else.

If you want, there is another process (well, two, really) that may work, but given this is a relatively new machine, you will be far better off with a fresh install, or repair.

Either way, you are going to end up calling Microsoft for a new passcode.

So, anyway, if you want to try, try this:

Start > Run, type
regsvr32 regwizc.dll

Then, START > RUN type
regsvr32 licdll.dll

Reboot. Windows should ask you to reactive. As noted, though, if this fails you will be making yet another call to Microsoft.

the other solution involves a minor registry edit, but I doubt that will work either.