Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Core Speed

• Please log in to reply

jhemfl

jhemfl

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi, I just ordered a new computer. And it came with the e6850 duo core processor. Now this processor is supposed to run at 3.0 ghz, but I downloaded and ran CPU-Z, and it shows that my computer runs at 2.0 ghz. But, it jumps around if I'm looking at it, itll jump up to 3.0 ghz then back down to 2.0 ghz. Is this normal? Or should my CPU always be running at its full potential?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
No, it does this to save energy while it is not needed.

jhemfl

jhemfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
So, I dont need to worry? It will run at 3.0 GHz while gaming and whatnot?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, there is no reason your CPU would be underclocked unless you set it to be. It will run at its set clock speed when it needs to.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
This is due to SpeedStep. Nothing to worry about, though you may want to turn it off if you will be overclocking.