Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my D drive disappeared

• Please log in to reply

suffer2ascend

suffer2ascend

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I went to play a CD in my computer the other day. I popped in the disc, and nothing happened. I eventually realized that my D drive was completely gone. if I click on "My Computer" it only shows the floppy drive, the C drive, and my documents folders. I did not install or uninstall anything or do anything out of the ordinary that might've caused this.

I'm not too knowledgable about the technical side of things, but I asked around and was offered a few suggestions to attempt to diagnose the problem. I checked my registry editor, and went to the appropriate path to check the registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318} - according to the pane on the right hand side of the screen, there are no UpperFilters or LowerFilers values in the registry key. I'm not sure exactly what this means, but apparently it has something to do with the fact that my D drive is gone. I tried uninstalling the Samsung CD/DVD drive and re-installing it, and it would not work. I also recieved some kind of Code 19 error when trying to diagnose the problem.

Edited by suffer2ascend, 22 September 2008 - 01:02 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does your CD-ROM drive appear in the Device Manager? You can get to the Device Manager by going to START-->RUN and typing devmgmt.msc.

Fenor

suffer2ascend

suffer2ascend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not currently at my home computer right now, but... yesterday I did pull up the Device Manager and it shows a DVD/CD Rom drive. when I expanded the path, it showed the Samsung CD-Rom device, but next to it was an exclamation point "!" inside a tiny yellow triangle.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try the following when you get back to your home computer:

Fenor

---------------------

Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.TXT file and follow the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

suffer2ascend

suffer2ascend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, I did all the steps up until the CD Gone program. I downloaded it and extracted the files onto my desktop. I read the Read Me First text document, but I still can't figure out how to use the program. the Read Me text is very confusing and vague. can you please explain to me how to use CD Gone?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just right-click on the cdgone.reg file and choose Merge. A pop-up window will then appear telling you that the contents of the file have been merged successfully with the Registry. Now just reboot your computer.

suffer2ascend

suffer2ascend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, I tried this and it did not work. the D drive is still gone. what next?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Most likely the drive is shot. Try changing the IDE cable running from the drive to the motherboard. Also check and make sure the drive is jumpered correctly. You could also try putting in another one (CD/DVD-ROM drive) and see if it gets detected and works properly.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- You could also plug your bad drive into another computer and see if it recognizes it and works properly to help rule out if it's the drive or something in your computer that is causing the problem.

Edited by Fenor, 24 September 2008 - 03:37 PM.

cheri54

cheri54

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had the same problem. My D and E drives were gone. I googled my problem and it led me here. I did everything up to and including deleting my Upper and Lower Filters and all I can say is BLESS you Fenor it worked! 10 million thank yous to you!!!!!!! :)

roster

roster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
paid 65 euros six months ago to get this fixed, happened again and i did what you said, you have have just saved me alot of money, thanks so much.