Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Not Working, Gateway

• Please log in to reply

Missyjojo88

Missyjojo88

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Gateway laptop with windows vista on it. It has CD/ DVD drive. Both of these drives were working, but all of a sudden the DVD drive stoped working. When I put a CD in there it works, but when I put a DVD, it just makes a clicking sound. This is the hardware name :TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS- L632D ATA Device. Can I have step by step directions on what I need to do to get it to work. Thanks!

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

I have a Gateway laptop with windows vista on it. It has CD/ DVD drive. Both of these drives were working, but all of a sudden the DVD drive stoped working. When I put a CD in there it works, but when I put a DVD, it just makes a clicking sound. This is the hardware name :TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS- L632D ATA Device. Can I have step by step directions on what I need to do to get it to work. Thanks!

That to me sounds like a dirty lens or a dying DVD pickup (which means a dead/dying drive). You can clean the lens with a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol (the higher the % alcohol the better, most drug stores have 90-95% rubbing alcohol). If that doesn't work, maybe someone will come in with a driver hint, that I don't know (VERY common my driver knowledge is low). Otherwise, I think you are looking at a dead DVD laser pickup.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Clicking sound definitely means reading laser problem, which may be curable, or not.
I'm not sure how to stick cotton swab into computer's DVD drive, but you can buy lens cleaner CD for a few bucks.
If that doesn't help, new drive is due.
BTW, optical drives don't need any extra drivers since Windows NT.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Clicking sound definitely means reading laser problem, which may be curable, or not.
I'm not sure how to stick cotton swab into computer's DVD drive, but you can buy lens cleaner CD for a few bucks.
If that doesn't help, new drive is due.
BTW, optical drives don't need any extra drivers since Windows NT.

Doh, this has NOT been my day (first silly mistakes on my PL now this) my stupid cold is killing my brain.

I was thinking of laptop drives in my head (because thats what I have), forgetting that for desktops the laser stays inside. :) Yeah the lens cleaner CD is your only options other than a new drive.

Edited by PedroDaGR8, 15 December 2008 - 10:55 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
PedroDaGR8
Don't you worry. We all make silly mistakes :)