Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD+RW will not read or write

• Please log in to reply

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I Have a store bought HP a250n Computer with the following specs, P4, 2.6ghz, 120gig HD, 512mb Ram, nVidia GEforce4 Video card, HP 300n DVD+RW, and a 48x cd player running Win XP.

My problem is with the DVD burner. the drive is being recognized by the computer
as the dvd drive, but the drive is not reading any dvd's or cd's. When i put a dvd or cd in the drive the light comes on for about 2 seconds and then stops, also none of the programs(Sonic Recordnow,WinDVD,WMP) that were associated with drive will not recognize it either. :)

I did not receive any error messages when this happenned, it worked one day the next it did'nt. ;)

I've tried updating the driver, the firmware, uninstalling/reinstalling, but none of this works. :(

I hope that someone can help, I am out of clues and i'm not sure if its software related or the drive itself is bad. :tazz:

Thank You

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Welcome Vikingsrule.

have you installed or removed any burning software recently? and how about hardware, any thing new?

what does it look like in device manager?
Start>Control Panel>System>hardware>Device Manager>DVD/CDROM

any yellow '!' or red 'x'?

by the way, Drew Pearson did not push off.

bdlt(Cowboysrule)

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have not added any hardware and I am still using the same burning software that originally came with the computer which is the Sonic RecordNow. I have never had any problems until this time.

There is no yellow or red showing in the device manager, its showing as an active drive.

The only thing I can think of that I changed, was around the same time I created a new user account and then deleted it. I do not think that would of caused the problem. I maybe wrong though. I'll check the error reporting and send that info if there is anything there.

Incidentally I am having the same problem on my daughters computer, its a dvd player only. It's showing in the control panel and device manager as a good drive, but it will not recognize any dvd or cd. When I try using PowerDVD or WMP the light flashes 3 times like it is reading, then it hangs for a little bit, then i get the message "please insert dvd into drive e:"

I have done all the same things I tried on my computer and they did not work either. The windows trouble shooter doesn't help either.

BTW Pearson did push off, I remember as if it happened yesterday.

If you can figure this out it will be greatly appreciated.

Vikingsrule
out :tazz:

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
also if you need anymore information let me know

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
what about windows updates - are they done automatically? or have any been installed recently?

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have the windows updates set up automatically and i check often to see if there is any that may have been missed. not sure if any have been installed recently. I am at work right now, i'll be at home in about an hour and i can check.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
if both PCs are automatically updated, then it sounds like one of the updates may be causing the problem. please let us know what you find.

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Okay these are the following updates that were installed around the same time that this all started.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)

Security Update For Windows XP (KB901214)

Security Update For JView Profiler (KB903235)

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

Do you think that DVD Copy 123 or DVD Shrink could have something to do with this? I am not sure because it has been awhile since I last used these, Also I just remembered that I installed/uninstalled DVD Decryptor about 2 weeks prior to this.

Thanx
Vikingsrule11!!!!

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
was DVD Decryptor installed/uninstalled from both PCs?

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
No just mine with the dvd+rw

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
there are a couple of suspects we can look at - windows updates or DVD Decryptor.

for windows updates - uninstall an update, remove the dvd from device manager, reboot and let windows reinstall the dvd. repeat for each update(unless, of course it shows up as a dvd instead of a cdrom).

for DVD Decryptor - are you comfortable working with the registry? if you are, look for upper filters and lower filters for dvd/cdrom devices, then delete them.

you might want to check the settings for DVD Copy 123 and DVD Shrink before doing anything else.

one other question - are you using a different brand of blank discs than were used in the past?

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'll give it a try

I use the same DVD' and CD's all the time and never had any problems

John V

John V

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had a similar problem when I first installed a cheapo 16X DVD burner. I was trying to use cheapo store brand blank media. I bought some Memorex DVD's and everything worked fine with no further adjustments. My home system GoVideo DVD burner is also fussy about the media. Some work and some don't. Commercial DVD's (movies) seem to play in all units. I'm not big on Memorex since I just bought some floppy disks and only half of them work. A TDK was packed with my GoVideo burner and it would not copy but the cheapos did. Imation and Verbatim are alleged to be top brands. :tazz:

jl582

jl582

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm not sure if this could help.
But I had Sony Desktop and noticed certain CDs wouldn't get read.
After returning/replacing, installing drivers.. etc..
Solution was simple... Right click on DVD/CD drive -> Properties -> Recording -> click on Enalbe CD Recording on this drive.

I noticed this seemed to have fixed the problem.

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
i tried the windows updates route but that didnt work still the same problem.

as far as the registry goes i am not real comfortable with it since i've never had to modify it. If i had some tutoring or a guide to go by I could do it.

I am starting to think that dvdwriter is bad itself, because whenever I put a disc in nothing happens.

I am thinking about taking it out and trying in my daughters computer. unless you have any other ideas.