Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 8250 question?

• Please log in to reply

wineisit

wineisit

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My Dell will not start up. I get to the Dell screen and then get an message that says: Primary hard disk drive 0 not found. Do I need a new Hard drive?

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Possibly, but let's try running some tests first. Do you have the Drivers and Utilities CD that was sent with your computer?

wineisit

wineisit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Great. Please put that in the CD drive and turn off the computer. Then turn the computer back on and start tapping the <F12> key, maybe once or twice a second. This will get you into the Boot Device Selection menu. Arrow down to Onboard or USB CD-ROM Device and press Enter. This will boot to the CD and let us run some tests. Once you get to a grey window on a blue screen, select Custom Tests, click the (+) sign next to the Hard Drives category, then click on your hard drive to highlight it. Don't worry, there will only be one. With your hard drive highlighted, click the Run Tests button in the bottom left corner. This will run some extensive hard drive tests.

Please report back with any error messages!

wineisit

wineisit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The only choices I have are Diskette Drive, IDE CD-ROM Device System setup, IDE Device Diagnostics, & Boot to Utility Partition?

wineisit

wineisit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried the IDE CD-ROM Device and got the following reply: Strike the F1 Key to continue or F2 to run utility setup

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Do you only have one CD drive? Try moving the CD to the other drive, if there is one.

You can also try booting to the utility partition, but I doubt that will work since your hard drive isn't recognized.