Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Optiplex GX260 cpu upgrade

• Please log in to reply

brian_metzger

brian_metzger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Optiplex GX260 that had a p4 1.8, 256 cache, 400 fsb cpu, the question is can I switch the cpu with a p4 2.4, 512 cache, 533 fsb cpu. Per the help at Dell, if you can call it help, they said I should be able to. I asked if he was sure and where he got the documentation on it to show that I could, and show the specs for the motherboard, he said he was not sure but I should be able to use the new p4, but he said he has no documentation on it to prove it, and would not say that he was positive it would not cause any damage. Well, before I put in a new cpu and damage something, I figure I would ask the “Pros”. Can I make the cpu switch without running risk of damage to the new cpu or motherboard. The Dell motherboard “part number” is 04t274. The old Intel chip part number is SL5VJ, the new Intel part number is SL6RZ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i am currently trying to locate specs for your motherboard, it will need to obviously suppourt the additional speed and fsb. the speed is quite a drastic jump, but it may be perfectly suppourted. but i would not guess.

Aero A95

Aero A95

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
if u want a 3.6ghz cpu go to http://www.compuvest...ku=322000601-12 cuz i have the same system
:)