Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dependency Service failed start

• Please log in to reply

lucliz

lucliz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: I have HP Pavilion 6735 w SP2; I installed 2 new printers Canon i550 & Lexmark X5150 Printer/Scanner without problem. Tested both - printed test pages ok. After rebooting, when I tried to print I received a "Print Spooler Service is not running - I contacted MS Support logs and told to go to sys/admin - services - print spooler - and change the start to automatic. It was already automatic - so I clicked on "Start" - then received Error 1068 - The dependency service or group failed to start." After exhaustive researching on MS Support - I cannot find any help with them - oh, I did also have 2 other printers on the system too, now there is no printers listed on the system.

I checked in sys/admin - services and checked the Print Spooler Server service's and the Remote Procedure Call. (RPC) are set to automatic. While looking there I noticed that the "RPC Locator Properties" field was set to manual, I changed that field to "automatic" in hopes that would work. It did not work; - I clicked on "START" and then looked into the "Printers/Faxes" and nothing was listed. I rebooted and tried to re-install one of the printers and no go. Can you help me?

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Go to Start>Run and type in services.msc then press Enter. In the window that opens find Print Spooler on the right, right-click it and select Properties. Go to the Recovery tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to Restart The Service. Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say 1 in them. Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Now when ever your Print Spooler craps out, it will automatically reset itself.

Edited by The_Sloth, 15 July 2005 - 12:58 PM.

lucliz

lucliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks, sloth, I will give it a try right now!
Elizabeth

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
No problem :tazz: , glad to be of service.

lucliz

lucliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh, Sloth - it didn't work. I did as you directed, then tried to install one of my printers (canon i550) - received msg "The Print Spooler Service is Not Running" - I was using the installation CD and the msg from that was "printer drivers were not installed." Do you have anything else up your sleeve?
Elizabeth

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did you check if spoolsvc is actually running? (check task manager)
makai

Edited by makai, 15 July 2005 - 03:46 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I had the same problem. Your print spooler service won't stay 'started' because your registry is corrupt. I used the following link to fix mine:

http://members.shaw....nterDrivers.htm

lucliz

lucliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
makai - here's information on my system:
It is a Desk Top
Operating System: Windows XP (SP2);Computer Make: HP 6735(Pavilion);Processor: 631 MHz Celeron; Memory: 320 MB
Web Browser: Internet Explorer & Firefox; Intel® 82810 Graphics Controller; HP Pavilion M50 Monitor Intel® 828801AA AC'97; Audio Controller; Microsoft USB Trackball Optical; HP ScanJet 5300C5370C (non-functioning and cannot uninstall);HP DeskJet 3320, HP DeskJet 952C; Natural PS/2 Keyboard; Microsoft USB Trackball Optical Mouse; Generic USB HUB; Lucent Win Modem; Motorola SurfBoard 4200 USB Cable Modem; Microsoft Shared Fax Driver; EZ Firewall; CAI Anti-Virus; eTrust EZ Antivirus;Spybot; PC Bug Doctor; Vavasoft Ad-aware Plus; Microsoft's new Antivirus (Beta) WinPETROL PLUS, and Registry Mechanic. Task manager has no listing for spoolsvc. Of course, there are no printers listed now.

I don't know if this is due to the problem with the print spooler or dependency services, but now I am receiving Error 403's when I try to go the sites I have gone to before - I was trying to upgrade Registry Mechanic, and received this msg: Error 403 - saying I don't have permission to go there... what's that all about? Related to this problem or new problem?
Thanks for any input - Elizabeth

Edited by lucliz, 18 July 2005 - 03:50 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Open Control panel
Double click on Administrative tools
Double click on Services

Click on standard on the bottom of the Services window so the menu listing is easier to see... also expand the window if it helps.

Scroll down the Services window and look for an entry called Print Spooler.

Double click on the name Print spooler. When the window opens, check the Log on tab. Is it set for Local System account, with Profile 1 enabled?

makai

lucliz

lucliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
makai
Print Spooler "Log On" was set to Local System account, with "Original Configuration" enabled.
Liz :tazz:

lucliz

lucliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
macten
Thank you for that information - If all else fails - I'll do what it says - but, oh, what a job! Especially when the printer doesn't work - so I can't print out the complicated instructions. I am praying for a simpler solution - but will certainly go to this one if needed. I appreciate your input!
Elizabeth :tazz:

Edited by lucliz, 20 July 2005 - 11:55 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are there any other profiles present in the list?

Also go to Contol Panel, System,Hardware,Hardware Profiles and see what you have in there. Does it match with the printspooler profile?

makai

lucliz

lucliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
As I mentioned - only the "Original Configuration" - and the hardware profile only lists the "original configuration"
Elizabeth :tazz: