Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop not loading after XP logo came on

• Please log in to reply

texman

texman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
had a problem with my monitor. These was the steps i believe i took that caused the problem.I right clic on desktop to properties, click on settings than ii clic on advance than to monitor properties than on devise usage i had mistakenly click on Do not use this device (disable). When i restart my computer i can only see the welcome to XP and than the monitor goes blank. I have tried it many times but with no luck.Can someone help me!! Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get anywhere if you boot then keep tapping the F8 key until you get options, choose safe mode then see if you can get to device manager to enable the monitor. XP should have recognised the monitor as a default monitor do it may be something else

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You know what we need around here? We need a smilie with eyebrows that are animated and jump about an inch above the smilie and then makes a ZOINKS! noise.

What were you trying to do that you did this?

If Keith's suggestion doesn't work--sometimes specialized devices do not represent themselves the same way in safe mode--you can try this...in device manager, select all MONITORS and right click, then uninstall them.

Reboot

Windows will rededect the monitor on reboot, loading the default driver.