Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Defragmenter could not start

• Please log in to reply

Mama Ortiz

Mama Ortiz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, this is irritating the heck out of me. I tried to run my defrag and a window popped up saying "disk defragmenter could not start". I ran chkdsk, and also checked to see if it was flagged as dirty, no it wasnt. I have tried every other suggestion i have seen on other topics here and nada. This is a new laptop (birthday gift from my husband) and if i cant get it fixed I'm gonna blow it up. It all started while playing a game. The game began to randomly shut down during play and giving me the usual error message about needing to shut down. It has done this before and defragging usually fixes it, but not now since i cant defrag. Im running windowsxp media center edition on a hp pavilion dv6000. It was bought from a pawn broker about 3 months ago. the dealer said it was only about a year old when he got it (the same day we put a down payment on it). any help would be nice. I have also run multiple virus scans with avira antivir (works great for me, never had a problem with it in all my computer using life) and nada. im clean. please dont let me trash my new toy! husbadn will be P***ed! LOL

Advertisements

Mama Ortiz

Mama Ortiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I went surfing after posting this and found an answer!!! I havent fixed it myself yet but it looks like it will work. I apparetly have a virus or malware that is stopping my antivirus from updating, hijacking my browser, and messing with my defrag. here is the post I found. I will try it and let you know if it works. Hopefully it does and it will help someone else!

broadbandreports.com/forum/r21061920-XP-Home-Disk-Defragmenter-could-not...

ok i did what the other post said and it worked! hopefully this will work for everyone else with this problem. the program I used for this was superantispyware. it takes a while to run but its very user friendly (my 5 yr old can do it) and it does a very thourough job.

Edited by Mama Ortiz, 14 January 2009 - 09:17 PM.

Philla

Philla

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey thanks for posting this cause i have the exact same problem. I ran Malwarebytes anti-malware but still have the same problem now i will try the software that you used. Hope I'm lucky enough and that it will work.

One question though, did you have to run the ant-malware in safe mode or just in normal windows mode?

I went surfing after posting this and found an answer!!! I havent fixed it myself yet but it looks like it will work. I apparetly have a virus or malware that is stopping my antivirus from updating, hijacking my browser, and messing with my defrag. here is the post I found. I will try it and let you know if it works. Hopefully it does and it will help someone else!

broadbandreports.com/forum/r21061920-XP-Home-Disk-Defragmenter-could-not...

ok i did what the other post said and it worked! hopefully this will work for everyone else with this problem. the program I used for this was superantispyware. it takes a while to run but its very user friendly (my 5 yr old can do it) and it does a very thourough job.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TO Philla,
Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other issues that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TO Mama Ortiz

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

ankit srivastava

ankit srivastava

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been facing serious issues with disk defragmenter since long now. At last got a solution on this website. Hope this helps others as well...

http://dummy-essenti...nter-could.html