Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Donation information

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

We strongly encourage you to donate directly to the person that helped you. Many have donation links in their signatures. However, if you'd like to donate directly to the site, we provide the following info:

To Donate using PayPal:

click here -> donate.gif

Snail Mail (USPS):
Geeks to Go
PO Box 6563
Fargo, ND 58109-6563

Advertisements

telomere

telomere

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi admin,
I actually dont have a paypal account. I am from India. anyother preferable mode of payment for us?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yes, pay it forward. :)

GeekU?

Mr. G

Mr. G

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
What is an appropriate donation amount for a virus/malware fix? I don't want to offend my helper. What % of people donate?

Thanks

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The appropriate amount is whatever you feel comfortable giving. We're all volunteers, and none of us expect a donation, so you certainly can't offend. :)

telomere

telomere

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes am GeekU. :)

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi

Can anyone give me some guidelines on what I should pay as a donation for the help and assistance that I have received.

In my case, It has been someone who helped me try and resolve my computer problem..which I think or thought had been a very bad virus...

It took many days of trying various things and we spent a lot of time.

I am not sure that the problem has been resolved...as It seems somethings cannot be sorted as it may be a old browser problem ( that I didnt really want to change), but its seems to work better on another browser...

Although It may not have been resolved... I do think that I should make some sort of payment.

IF I had been paying a Computer virus expert to try and look at my problem, IF he had taken even half or quarter of the time, I suspect that it would had cost me a lot, unless they had come across a quicker solution..and I would not had been able to afford it..

I just wondered if there some guidelines.. IF I paid only $10 I suspect Im well underpaying.

But I may not be happy to pay over $50 to $100... maybe also experts who help on the forum may only accept a set payment.

I just wondered what other members may have paid...as some guidelines.

thank you

Dowsp

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can probably guess by the length of the logs that even a single reply in the malware removal forum can be quite time consuming. However, if you've run some scans, you know how long they can take. The work is not one-sided. This collaborative arrangement makes online removal possible.

I feel pretty confident saying the help you receive here is better than if you were to hire someone, however if you were to pay for malware removal -- expect to pay $100-$200. People helping you here are not doing this for a living. Mostly they enjoy the intellectual challenge, and enjoy helping others. Kind words often mean as much or more than cash. Helpers do use donations they receive for a variety of purposes. Whether upgrading their computer, or buying a new monitor, which allows them to better help; or maybe to take their significant other out to a much deserved night out in appreciation for time spent helping.

We don't track donations to helpers, however a number of years ago this site used to solicit donations directly. I think it's an acceptable analog. The range of donations were mostly $5-$100. With $5 and $100 being rare. Most donations were in the $10 - $40 range. Unfortunately, a low percentage of people donated. Many people like yourself probably don't want to risk to risk insult with a low donation amount, when in fact 1 person in 10 donating $5 equals to 1 person in 100 donating $50.

Donate whatever makes you feel comfortable. Express genuine appreciation for the help received. Please recommend the site to others. :)

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
Hi Admin,

I dont know if there was any other threads covering donations with the detail
that has been wrote so far.

I tried a quick search and found a few posts that seemed to have donations in the title
but most other posts listed seemed to just show up with the word within the post...

I seemed to have a problem opening the threads when I clicked on them. so whether or not some
covered the topic in enough detail, I am not sure..

I appreciate your guidelines and note what you have said...

I have found your advice to be what I was looking for as it helps guide me in deciding
what to do.

Many thanks

Dowsp

rcnewk

rcnewk

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I think the minimum should be $50 due to the excellent help on this site.Posted Image

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Since donation is voluntary, the amount that someone wishes to donate is up their discretion. If we required a minimum donation amount, that would be akin to charging someone, which will not happen here.

BristolCity

BristolCity

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
do you accept Neteller as I dont have paypal

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry we do not.

BristolCity

BristolCity

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
any other way of paying? I dont have paypal but wanna throw a few bucks to the guy who has helped me

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You would have to contact the person who helped you directly via personal message (PM) to see if other options were available.