Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Booting problem with XP/Vista

• Please log in to reply

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I have installed Vista on a new partition, so I can dual boot with Vista and Windows XP. However The dual boot screen automatically highlights Vista, and gives me the 30 second timer. Well most of the time I turn on my computer and walk away for a min or so and forget to select XP, the timer runs out and I have to restart the computer and select XP. Is there a way to make my XP partition the default OS? So it highlights that option automatically?

--Chris

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I just wrote a tutorial for it here. Just make sure you are in Vista when you try it.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thanks, this was really helpfull!

--Chris

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
No problem. :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You could also edit the boot.sys file (hidden/system) on the root drive, however I much prefer Pi's method as it's much safer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
another very good alternative is vistaboot pro

http://www.pro-netwo...otpro/intro.php

this has the advantage of backing up and restoring vista boot loader information, as well as some easy configuration tools

Optikal

Optikal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well, first time I've been here for awhile, and within a min or 2 I've found an answer to an issue often forcing me to sit and wait for the bootup.. Thanks Pi, Admin. :whistling:

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
No problem. :blink: Make sure to look at gerryf's link, it's very useful. :whistling:

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Nice, I saw this thread here the other day and remembered to keep it in mind, and I just now did it. Thanks.