Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ErrorSmart

• Please log in to reply

max38260

max38260

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am looking for the best optimizing download for my computer. Could you tell me if you think ErrorSmart is this the best download for optimumizing my computer? Thanks for any recommendations you have, Max. :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum, max38260

we don't recommend using any utility software which claims to be/is a Registry cleaner, for the simple reason they often do more harm than good, removing vital entries without which Windows may either not run properly or even not run at all. In any event I can't recommend a product I've never used or (in this case) never heard of until now.

Software vendors often exaggerate the consequences of not using a Registry cleaner in order to 'scare' you into buying their product. My view is that your more likely to suffer unwelcome consequences by using one rather than by not using one. Unless there is a reason for removing something specific from the Registry to solve a particular known problem (eg a malware-related problem) it should be left alone.

When you are sufficiently experienced in how the the registry works you may feel comfortable in editing the Registry yourself to remove the accumulation of redundant, uninstalled software keys. And when you get to that stage you'll learn a whole lot more about the Registry than by letting a dubious piece of software do it for you. But please do it under supervision first when you get to that stage.

Edited by pip22, 28 February 2008 - 04:56 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I believe that Errorsmart is not considered a good program - I find very mixed reviews on it. I believe it's one that will allow you to download a trial version, and then ask you to pay for the full version in order to clean anything it finds. It also advertises itself as cleaning spyware and virus entries - you run a big risk of breaking your system if certain things aren't removed properly. If you look at the reviews of Errorsmart, they tend to link back to the Errorsmart site itself, and all seem to have been written by the company. I have advised users to remove this program when I've encountered it.