Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Errors driving me nuts

• Please log in to reply

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi, I hope someone can help, I`ve been having problems with my stupid PC for a few months and no one has been able to advise so far.

Sometimes on start-up, and always when trying to load a game [ any game ] I get blue scree errors.
The latest said :

An exception has occured at 0028:FFOB5B3D in VXD---, this was called fro 0028:COOA32IE in VXD---, it may be possible to continue normally etc etc

Another said :

A fatal exception OE has occured at 0118F:BFFAADOB. The current application will be terminated

BEing pretty much computer illiterate, I have tried google searching the errors as whole thing and just with key words / letters, and no results have ever matched up to the errors, I dont understand the pages and pages of remotely related error results, cant find anything in any pages explaining general errors, and no one seems to know whats going on.

I have run virus scan many times [ as well as the scheduled regular scans ], have a firewall [ McAffee guardian ], and pop-up stopper. Have also run spybot, [ nothing problematic there ], scan disc, defrag, the Hijack this scan from this site, CheckIt diagnostics [ which I have installed from disc ], and Norton Systemworks.

I cant find which file/s may be causing the problem, all system scans show as ok apart from minor ones in systemworks which have always fixed ok anyway and none have ever had vxd related issues as far as I can tell.

THe last thing I want to have to do is wipe this damned thing and have to re-install everything, [ have previously been there a couple of times, cant face doing it again ], and I cant get everything to back-up on CD`s so I would lose a lot of stuff. I dont want to change to XP cos I dont like it and loads of my older stuff would not run on it anyway.

I do have the windows cab files disc.

I have been told if I try to reinstall windows [ can you tell Im desperate yet ? ] that it will wipe everything else [ I have 2 hard drives, one is partitioned, windows is on the smallest drive along with the essentials ], others have said it wont do that but I dont know who to believe :) and I havent been able to find whatever is causing the issue anyway so I wouldnt know what to re-instal as an individual file.

The nearest place I could take the thing to is PC World, who always seem to say `reformat reformat`, no matter what, ie `my printer has stopped being recognised` - `ah well you`ll have to book it in, leave it with us for a few weeks and we`ll have to reformat it so everything will be wiped` - an exaggeration perhaps but you get the picture ?

Please can anyone help before I take a large hammer to the wretched thing, bin all my games and everything else, and revert back to being a hermit too scared of a PC to ever want to set eyes on one again ?

:D :blink: :help: :) :whistling: :D

Edited by Patchandcrew, 12 April 2006 - 10:49 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi patchandcrew
Lets not dump it just yet, having 2 drives is handy. If need be we can reinstall windows and not loose your data (trust me).
You say you have a cd with the cab files do you hav a proper 98SE cd?
are your games etc on the window partion /
does the computer work when you are not trying games ? how big is the 2nd drive?

Cheers
Peterm

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi Peterm, thank you for responding :)

The Cab files CD is not the original, its a replacement I was given when my proepr one was deemed unusuable by a certain shop when it went in for an upgrade some time ago, [ it was fine before it went in though :help: ],

I only have one game in the main [ C ] drive now, the others are in the partition or the 2nd drive [ some games dont want to know at all if not on the main drive so I took them out altogether except one, [ Age of Empires ].

Usually, games [ in whichever drive or partition area ] will blue screen on loading, or if by some miracle do load initially, the will either freeze or run slower and slower til I give up.

Other applications [ like Pictur It, which I use a lot ] Word, etc have been ok so far, though Freecell in the accessories menu wont play, but Solitaire [ same folder, a Windows thing I think ? ], is fine.

It has started blue screening when I play a vid on windows media player [ only started doing that in the last week, when its happened a couple of times ], but has been fine so far with Divx player, Real Player and Quicktime.

Second drive says capacity 33.2GB [ I`m sure it was supposed to be a 40GB :blink: ], at present 7.76GB is in use, 25.4 GB available.

I try to save most stuff to their so as not to have too much in the C drive [ main drive ] as thats smaller than the 2nd drive.

Does all that make any sense at all :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
1) Ok do you have any new toys you plugged in lately scanner camera etc?
If yes uninstall them and tell me if it improves.

2) Also we can see if windows will let you do a repair with the disk you have.
Go start>run type in sfc ok
check scan for altered files click start - if it finds a file that is corrupt it will give you 3 options
choose the 2nd option to restore from the installation disk.
If it gives you the choice to use windows precopy say yes if not then choose your cd.
When it picks a bad file it will tell you where the file is located make sure you resore to the same folder
(usally the default).

3) Go to the Tuneup link in my sig and download the free 30 day trail of tuneup.
Run the disk cleaner and the registry cleaner - both on the 2nd Tab.

4) Right click on my computer >propertities>device manager. View devices by type
go down to the bottom of the list and click on the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
are there any yellow or red marks ?

Cheers
Peterm

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Having accidentally closed the page I had initially done a response on which was ready to post :blink: here I go again :whistling:

>1) Ok do you have any new toys you plugged in lately scanner camera etc?
>If yes uninstall them and tell me if it improves.

Only one new toy lately, new printer [ last week ], to replace my old one [ both Epson ]. No difference after uninstalling old one, installing new one, uninstalling then reinstalling.
I also have modem from ISP [ used to be through cable but thats not available where I live now ] but for a few months I had no internet at all [ so no new plug-in modem for that time ] during which time the problem persisted anyway.

>>2) Also we can see if windows will let you do a repair with the disk you have.

Here you will see I am a complete computer numpty :help:
There were soooo many changed files, most had their last noted change or deletion long before the problem started happening, [ many pre-dating the last data wipe I have done and pre-date even the hard drives I had installed so thats rather baffling that they even show up :D ].

There was a corrupt file and being an idiot I did`nt make a note of whilch file and it did`nt reinstall from the CABS disc nor any older file, in fact it came up as `file not found`.
Having done as many restores as seemed possible [ except any that seemed too old to bother changing or were Symantec ones therefore not on the CABs disc anyway ], I rebooted and on the last stage of the boot up got an IE illegal operation box which prevented the thing completing the boot up [ tried twice ] so I had to do a Go-Back restore to before I started messing with it :)

Would it be worth me doing the sfc again, selecting the `ignore` on each one [ but making a note of the one it said was corrupted this time :) then PM you the log file info for you to check ? [ if thats not too much of a cheek to ask of you ].

>3) Go to the Tuneup link in my sig and download the free 30 day trail of tuneup.
>Run the disk cleaner and the registry cleaner - both on the 2nd Tab.

Have downloaded it but have`nt used it yet - was`nt sure if I should til I have got somewhere with the sfc thing ?

>4) Right click on my computer >propertities>device manager. View devices by type
>go down to the bottom of the list and click on the + sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
>are there any yellow or red marks ?

No marks there, no.

I shall go and stand in the PC numpty corner for now :D

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you can send me the list. uninstall the printer andleave it uninstalled - then check things if no difference then reinstall.
Great that you are using go back - I love it.
Check Add and remove programs in control panel for any Symantec programs you are not using, remove them and then run the tune up this will clear the registry of dead links.
Then run SFC.

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Apologies for taking so long, has been a bit hectic the last couple of days.

I have pm`d you the sfc log file, thank you for taking the time on this for me :blink:

No difference re printer, and I ran the tune up doobry.
The Symantec programs which show up in add/remove are all current ones as far as I can tell, for Norton Go Back, antivirus and Ghost.

Keeping fingers crossed that the sfc log might shed some light on the problem with my stoopid annoying PC :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry for the delay
1) In my sig there is a link for an online scan please do that.

2)Can you start your computer in safe mode (To start Windows 98 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Safe Mode. )
Do you still get the error?

Edited by peterm, 19 April 2006 - 01:52 AM.

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I ran the scan and it said 1 infection, Win32.SQL.Slammer :blink:

I read the info on it, and the scan site said there was no fix so I looked it up via Norton as well [ where there is a fix ], downloaded that, and it said my PC was not vulnerable so even more confused about that one :whistling:

The error does`nt happen in safe mode, but that said I have`nt tried opening a game or Media Player in safe mode [ would they run anyway ?? Will give it a try shortly anyway ].

I will re-run the scan now to see if the Norton `fix` actually did anything or if it missed the infection completely and will report back as soon as it`s done.

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I did the alledged Norton `fix` which is still insisting there is nothing there and re-ran the online scan which insists it is there [ the Win32.SQL.Slammer ] so I`m none the wiser.

I ran Media Player in safe mode and it did`nt crash *but* I can`t rely on that too much as sometimes it is fine anyway. Have done several re-boots [ cos of game crash ] and had the blue screen on start-up a couple of times, and the other start-ups booted fine.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok lets try another. In my sig there is a Trend micro scan please run that.
C.A is very good so lets go for 2 out out of 3.

Please boot to safe mode again & try to load a game - any error messages ?

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I ran the Trend scan and it came up as clean, no threats or infections :help:

I tried to run a game in safe mode but it did`nt recognise the disc drive at all :blink: so I didn`t get anywhere with that in terms of checking if it would run without errors :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hmmmm
so you are trying to run the games from a cd or dvd are you
and not from the hard drive ?

Patchandcrew

Patchandcrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sorry, yes, none of my games are hard drive only, they are on CDs installed to drives but still require the discs to play. I dont think I`ve ever had any games which fully install to hard drive without needing the disc as well :whistling:

The ones I have installed at the moment are : Empire Earth - Art of Conquest, Age Of Empires 1 & 2, and Star Trek Armada. I gave up on the others and uninstalled them ages ago [ mostly Star Trek games plus a CSI game ].

They did all used to play fine, no errors, no freezing, until this VXD error started happening. The occasional blue screen on boot-up started happening at the same time as the VXD errors. I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling games but made no difference at all, and some would`nt reload properly anyway :blink:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok start the computer and hold down the ctrl key untill you get a startup menu with options. Choose step by step confirmation (4)
Answer Y to all. After load windows drivers it should give you a list of VXD files. Please write down the files and post, for now Say Y to load these.